• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thermostat location?

the bottom bolt is a PITA to get to because of the belt.

Be careful seating the new tstat because if it falls out of the "notch" in the block that it's supposed to sit in, you won't be able to tighten down the housing properly.

Also, if your housing is all corroded and such, autozone will sell you a brand new housing for $10.99 and most locations seem to have one in stock.

When you put in the new thermostat, drill two holes about 1/16" such that they will be at 12:00 and 6:00 when installed, and if you apply a little RTV to the outside rim and press it into the recess in the block face it will stay put a little easier (it's always worked for me!)

The two small holes will help with releasing trapped air and has also helped with longevity of other seals in the event of thermostat failure when somewhere off in the Boondocks.

5-90

Thanks for the help guys. What a pain in the ass the little sucker was. My friend just bought an 88 with 225k miles so he brought it over to change diff fluid, thermostat and other assorted items (we changed the diff fluid on mine too).

Here i thought changing the thermostat would be the easy part of the job.

Oh well, at least it's out of my garage... :)

You know, I often find that replacing a fastener every now and again can make a world of difference. As I recall, this is a place where I went to a stainless hex socket head screw, which has a smaller head and uses a much smaller wrench, which effectively gives me more room!

When you do a job, always assume that the next poor schmuck to work on it out in the weeds is going to be you, and refit accordingly. Just because the factory put it there does not mean it is the best bit for the job - heaven only knows how much stuff I toss and replace for an improvement (my brass hardware on my exhaust system bears this out, so does the silicon bronze hardware on the manifolds...)

5-90

5-90 said:
When you put in the new thermostat, drill two holes about 1/16" such that they will be at 12:00 and 6:00 when installed

5-90

Make sure you do this if not using OEM t-stat.

I just installed an Autozone thermostat and didn't drill the holes. Maybe I was bad. :(

Back