• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting an axle

Jeff in VA

<---respect
Finally scored a 4.10 D30 to complete my project and want to clean it up a little before I slap it in. What would y'all recommend as far as painting goes? Just want to weatherproof it a bit and make it look a little purrty...any recommendations?
Thanks,
Jeff

last one i did i cleaned the crap out of it then gave it a good coat or two of rust-olim(any rattle can should work) just make sure it is clean enough to eat off of and you'll be good to go.

Clean up the grease with a stiff parts brush and some kerosene. Wipe it down with laquer thinner. Scuff the diff cover, tubes and any other broad surfices with a Scotchbrite pad. Wire brush the cast parts. Wipe down with laquer thinner again. If anything is heavily rusted, shoot some rust converter on and wait 24hrs. Paint with Rust-o-leum if you don't have spray equipment, otherwise get a good grade of enamel and spray it on with a gun.

I've found quite a difference in durability between spray can brands. Get the good stuff.

I second DARKFLY on the 'clean enough to eat off'.

80% of the work of any GOOD paint job should be the preparation. If the substrate isn't clean, nothing will stick to it permanently.
And, trapped rust will continue to eat farther into the iron/steel, hidden by the coating.

Use GOOD grade of rattle-can. There IS a difference, and you get what you pay for.
Cheap paints = mostly solvents that evaporate.
Good Paint = Lots of 'solids' that remain to form a coating.
Conversion primers: Expensive, but worth their weight in gold at 'converting' light rust into a dense coating that can then be painted with oil-based primers/paint

Paint job = Primer + paint.
Primer: Stuff that sticks well to the substrate, but won't standup well to to sun and water.
Paint: Stuff that stands up to sun and water and oil, but doesn't stick well to bare metal.
Put a coat or two of good primer onto the metal. Allow to dry according to directions. Then finish with a couple coats of good paint.

Good luck.
-Rick

yep..clean. prime lots, then paint. No reason to go with anything but rattle can. Make sure you spray in a well-ventailated area unless you are like me and enjoy a pretty good contact high :)

Some quality time with a wire wheel and some POR-15 primer did the trick to make my 44 look real nice.

I've tried the Rustoeum rattle can primer on my rock rails, but one Rochester winter did a number on them. I'll stick with the POR-15.

--Matt

when I put my D44 in I just wiped of the oil and grease. I didn't want to paint it as then it would stand out! to many jeeps disappearing around the valley lately. it looks like it was there all along

Back