• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drums turned out of round

vancebreck

NAXJA Forum User
I have a problem where I get this thumping sound from the rear end when I brake. The rythm of the thumping matches the speed at which I am traveling, so as I slow down the interval between "thumps" increases.

I replaced the shoes and they seemed to be worn at an odd angle. I then took the drums to be turned to a National do-all mechanic in my neighborhood who turned the drums for $20 bucks. The thumping went away for awhile but has come back.

I decided to take it to the dealer to diagnose what the problem was. They told me that the drums were out of round. When I told them I just had them turned they responded that it was possible to turn drums out of round. When I asked them if they could turn them again they said no because it would leave too much space between the shoes and the drums. They recommended a complete drum replacement for $288.

I told them forget it since I can get new drums at the local autopart store for $100.

Does this sound right or are they just trying to make a buck. Can you turn drums out of round? Thanks

Well, if the center hole is off, and the brake mechanic ain't watchin the lathe, etc etc.

How are you torquing your wheels? A star pattern at the recommended torque with a torque wrench? I say this because even when I was a 98 pounder I could lug wrench them out of round by bad torque procedure.

And you are so right - the parts house is cheaper for new drums. Don't rule out the salvage yard.

It's also possible that the drums were bad to begin with. Sometimes it's not possible to "true" a drum by turning it. I've always found that it's more cost effective to replace drums as opposed to turning them. That said, be careful when you purchase after-market parts. There are lots of drum and rotor manufacturers out there that source parts from the Far East. Those sources have been known to use sub-standard materials and tools when casting and machining their parts. If you're going to buy at NAPA, CarQuest or AutoZone, look at the drums to see if they resemble what's currently on your vehicle. If they do, you should be OK. If not, beware. Sourcing the drums from the dealer might be more expensive but you at least know you're getting Mopar stuff.

Good Luck, Dave.

How about some advice from those that have replace their drums. Mine are pretty well shot... Anyone have a favorite brand or source?

Back