• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ghost Rev

Bronco

NAXJA Forum User
The other day I jumped in my jeep to make a quick run up the street and my engine was only slowing down very slowly when I let off the gas. Should I be getting a new cable or could this be a sign of a sensor going out or some other renix voodoo. When I headed home it was good and today no problem. I just don't want to break a cable out on the trail. Lifting up on the pedal didn’t help.

it could be a "fluke" and be a sticking cable.. but my 87 pretty regularly "idles" at about 1300 rpm.. goes away sometimes.. not a set pattern.. high idle isnt near the top of the list so i havent spent any time digging into it.. but i know that its a direct side effect of hosing down my oily/dirty engine with "engine gunk" ....... i say TPS or the Idle Control Motor... Renix Rocks!!!
mike

I had a similar problem(87xj), it was the throttle cable. The wire inside of the cable sheeth had cut a groove and now and then would stick. When I replaced the cable, I found the belcrank assembly was worn out as well.

bell crank: the throttle cable clips on one side, the other side has the rod that goes to the lever on the throttle body.

My high idle was caused by bad electrical connections. If your throttle cable and linkage check out ok, you might try cleaning the connectors for the TPS and IAC. I used CRC electronic cleaner to clean the terminals, and put dielectric grease inside the connectors. All the service info I have says to make sure the bolt in the C101 connector is torqued to 71 INCH/lbs, so you might try that too. I had to take my C101 connector apart and clean it, and it's a messy, time consuming job. If that is where your problem is, hopefully torquing the bolt will take care of it.

And be careful until you fix it. I was in low range pulling up behind another vehicle when mine revved up, and it was definatly an eye-opening experience :scared:

Bronco said:
Ah… so the pivot wears out?

It could. I have copy of an old AMC service bulletin for this high idle problem and the bell crank is one of many things they have you inspect.

Just to clarify mine was not revving up. It just was slowing down really slow after I took my foot off the pedal. So would that seem like a cable/friction problem?

Back