• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Johnson Valley April 11,12,13

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Just a reminder that we're doing a SoCal XJ run to JV that weekend. A few of the Sierra Chapter guys will be coming down to join us. We're planning on doing a hard and a not so hard run on Saturday. We're also encouraging everyone to come out and ride along if you're not equipped, and this will be sort of a SoCal chapter meet and greet. Mil is going to be cooking his famous Carne Asada on Saturday night, and we can use a few other items as well. We'll need to each chip in a little to cover the cost, or bring something to add to the feast.

We want to open up the not-so-hard (you can't call anything out there easy) run to those with only a rear locker. 32" tires are OK for these trails if you have dual lockers, it adds more to the challenge so good driving is required. If you just have a rear locker you should probably have 33" tires, or a lot of patience and willingness to take a strap. We don't want to stack a bunch of rocks out there and ruin it for the next folks, although some rock stacking is always part of running these trails. 31's are not adequate for these trails. A rear locker and front limited will work on all but the hardest trails. If you have 260x front axle joints or a D35 you should be carrying spare axles. It's a good idea to carry spare front shafts unless you have big front axles, even stock D44 axles have broken axle u-joints regularly out there. You can run these trails regularly without breaking front axles, but it takes an easy driving style and being careful constantly.

How many are planning to go and run the not-so-hard run?

Richard G

I talked to Andy and he's not opposed to helping with Lower Big Johnson as long as we get off the trail early enough to do a second trail. My thoughts exactly, I wouldn't mind doing Claw in the afternoon. :D

What are the schedule suggestions?

The JV weekend looks like it will my only play space for the month of April.

Depending on the schedule, I would be more than pleased to run the easy (haha) runs to better learn the areas opportunity.

Is the plan for a three day (Friday - Sunday) weekend or ???

Count me in.

I will be attending and would be glad to help out on a easy run. :D :D I hope to have a locker up front by then abd would like to run say Sledge on one of the days though.

One idea I was thinking about would be to run Wreaking Ball and Clawhammer on Sat. We would do two groups with Claw being the easier run. Claw has plenty of challenge for anyone but it's not as intense as a few of the other trails. What would be nice about running those two trials is that they come out at the same spot, so either group could walk down the other trail to watch or help when they got to the top. We could run Sledge on Sunday, and those who will be there on Friday can figure out what they want to run, maybe Big Johnson.

I'm up for running something on Friday afternoon/evening, in case those who can't run Sunday want to get in another trail.

Richard G

I think Andy and I were going to head down there Thursday afternoon/evening(maybe SeanP too) and then I'd take him(and whoever else) over to Lower Big Johnson for a Friday warm-up.
FarmerMatt: If you're comming please make some of your killer guacamole, I'll once again bring fresh chips and salsa for everyone. Also the blender will be in action again for Margaritas!
Should be fun.

Jes

I may be taking some time off and heading that way. Are there plenty of trails that are fun WITHOUT lockers? I don't think I will have one by then.

I'm thinking Sunday for the meet and greet...maybe ride along with somebody...my Jeep isn't man enough for JV :anon:

Just gots to figure out timing and all that (although time is my biggest enemy!)

JV run for those not set up for the hard core stuff

There are many trails in the area. Everything out there is not all hardcore. there is actually a fun trail that goes up to the copper mine and down the other side and I can explain where that is when we are out there. Also the area where the Rock Crawling Championships are held is also a fun area to run around in and is fine for non locked and limited modifications. I've been riding, racing and 4 wheeling this area for years and there are some fun things to do besides watching the hardcore guys bash their vehicles.
I'll be happy to tell you where they are at. It is an easy area to navigate and with a good map of the area, specifically the BLM map, you can really explore alot out there.
Mil

As for maps, I should have the Topo State of Californiai product by then (on computer) and a laptop with me, so that shouldn't be a problem...I may even have a GPS by then if I break down and buy one (otherwise the girlfriend will get me one for my birthday later in the month)

Sequoia

Beware of the Macintosh man. :anon:

A :party: can quicly turn in to :bs: or even :piratefla if you rely on the apple :bs:

But whats :new: ?

:next:

Having fun with the smilies I see! And the laptop with me will be a PC :(, as one, I don't have a laptop Mac, and two, the Topo product isn't Macable yet. (nice thing about being the computer guy, I get to order my own laptop :angel:

Looks like Gary Evans and I will be down there Thursday night, and that looks to be when Jes will arrive also.

We may even have to do a night run on Thursday, if anyone is interested.

I'll try to bring enough wild boar meat down for a pig-in-the-ground party on Friday night, before our Jack-backards-at-night run. :eek:

CRASH

Back