• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XM Radio

wadea7

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking about getting an XM Radio for my 2110 Cherokee.. Anyone else have one?? If so, what head unit do you use? I was thinking about an Alpine 7995, but it's a little expensive.. Thanks..

Wade

wadea7 said:
I'm thinking about getting an XM Radio for my 2110 Cherokee
i'd wait and see if it comes factory.

What?!?! The Cherokee is coming back in 107 years? And you plan on being here to see it? J/K:D

I'm getting an Alpine 7893 and XM tuner this week. FYI, Alpine, Sony, Kenwood, and Pioneer have stopped producing the XM tuner units. XM is making their own units at a far lower price. But until these come out, it may be difficult finding one from Alpine, Sony, etc.

My buddy who works at Alpine says they are completely out and they aren't getting any more. He's trying to find one for me, but I may be SOL.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I saw the Delphi models that plug into an auxillary port, but I'd rather have it in the head unit... Thanks for the info..

2110 Cherokee.. That's funny.. It's actually a 2001..

I believe if you get one of those ?XM ready radios? you will have to mount the XM receiver in the vehicle. Then you run LEFT, RIGHT and a ?control cable? to get the signal to the head in the dashboard. I am not sure where you?d want to mount that radio remotely in an XJ. I have a 2003 Buick Le Sabre and that how GM did it. The Digital Satellite receiver is mounted in the trunk; there are wires that bring the signals to the head in the dashboard.

I have seen lots of posts over the years about people getting their radios stolen. I decided to keep my factory AM/FM radio and supply the XM signal to it since no one steals factory radios. I have had a Delphi SkyFi radio since Oct 2002. I went with the FM modulator to get the signal into the radio in the dashboard. I like the FM modulator since it brings the power to the cradle and takes the signal to the modulator.

I picked up a cell phone bracket at my local mobile phone dealer. The bracket mounts to the screws holding the heater control. The location for mounting the cradle does not black the AC vent just to the right of the radio. I have had my buddy ride with me and it does not get in his way, we were worried about his knees hitting but so far no problem.

Another thing to consider is where to install the antenna. Before the XJ was repainted I would stick the antenna on the roof, it a magnetic one, and drive. Now that it is repainted I have the antenna on the dashboard and get decent signal. I will eventually resort to attaching an antenna to the roof or use one of those through the glass antenna. I am still exploring the antenna issue.

I like my Delphi SkyFfi over my Factory radio in the Le Sabre. The SkyFi will display the artist?s name and song title ALL the time if you choose that screen option. This is very nice. It also will list 5 channels at a time so when your scroul through the list you can find the station or song faster. The Factory radio has you put a ?display? button to see the artist?s name or song title. Does not sound like much but it does get annoying at times.

Install it the way that works best for you, you will find yourself listening to XM most of the time once you have it installed.

I have run the Alpine 7892, which is the non-mp3 companion to the 7995, in my 87 XJ for about a year. I also have the Alpine XM tuner and a Terk glass mount antenna. I mounted the tuner on the passanger's side of the cargo area, in the indentation. There's actually room on mine to mount it on the back of that panel, completely out of sight, but I left mine on the front so I could access the fuse if necessary. The antenna is mounted on the passanger's side rear window and it gives me good reception in all directions. I ran the Ai-net cables under the carpet to the dash, and it makes for a very clean installation that I think has been worth the investment. I've been able to take road trips and not had to search for listenable signals.

As far as theft, remember that a stolen XM receiver is really worthless because they each have a unique ID and can be deactivated once they are reported stolen. Of course you still have to protect the head unit but if you are looking at this kind of investment then a basic security system should be on your mind too.

Back