• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cold Starting

footdale

NAXJA Forum User
I bought my 98 xj about 3 months ago and it has been running great with no problems. The only thing I'm not so sure about is when I go to start it when the engine is cold, it will just continuously crank w/o starting. I'll stop after 3 seconds or so. Then without failure, it fires right up on second attempt. I can then kill it and fire it up no problem, it is just the first time after it is sitting for a while. Is this just a Jeep thing, or something else? As soon as I bought it I changed the plugs/wires/rotor/cap.

Shortly after purchase I put rusty's 3" lift with 31BFG's and JKS discos. Been hitting the trails around Boulder, Co almost every weekend and loving it.

Thanks for the input

When you turn the key, do you go immediately to START, or do you wait at the RUN position until the fuel pump has stopped running, indicating that the system is pressurized and ready to go?

I just turn it to "start" without waiting. Is this "as designed" by the manufacturer? I haven't been too concerned about it since it runs great, just curious.
Thanks

Back