• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix to HO TV cable help

FYR WOOD

NAXJA Forum User
Couple questions actually.

First, after swapping the HO engine into the XJ, I obviously needed a new TV cable. Well, after ordering a cable for a 98 XJ like I thought I should, seeing as the engine is a 98, the end that attaches to the AW4 is completely different from the one from the OE 88 Renix engine cable. Those of you who have done this swap, what is the solution? I am using the Renix cable, though it doesn't work quite right. The XJ will shift up through all the gears, but once in OD, as soon as you take your foot off the gas, it shifts back down into 3rd. I am worried that this will wear the AW4 out over time.

Second, I moved my vaccuum canister that used to live behind the front bumper into the engine compartment, and cracked the hard vaccuum lines in the process. I have a vaccuum leak now and the idle of the HO seems to have smoothed out. Is this to be expected? I am considering leaving a leak in the system if it helps with the idle.

Thirdly, can anyone tell me what it means when it has tripped the "EMISS MAINT" code? Swapped a new TPS on it today and drove fine, got in it just now and the light is on, but still runs fine. Hmmm...

Thanks for the help.

Scott

Scott, the "EMISS MAINT" light is triggered by a timer that's attached to the lower dash unit, to the left of the steering wheel. Most of us just unplug it to turn off the light. It's a reminder to replace the O2 sensor.

Mine shifts out of OD like you describe too. It only does it if the speed is under 35 mph or so. I thought it was normal.......? It might also be the torque converter unlocking, which would be normal for preparing to come to a stop???

Your improved idle with a vacuum leak could be a sign of a dirty throttle body or IAC. You might try cleaning them. It shouldn't run better with a vacuum leak.......

Just my 2 cents. Maybe someone will chime in that has actually done this swap.

If you're runnin' the HO with HO injectors on a Renix ECU, then your vacuum leak is prolly leaning it out enough to idle more smoothly -- the Renix Maps are for lighter injectors than the HO...

wow, i just did the same thing in my 89. I put a 98 HO in it. Its all bolted up and such. How did you do the fuel system?? I only hooked up the kick-down cable from the trans and i bypassed the neutral saftey switch for the starter. Will my trans work? i have a new trans computer for the 98 and the old one. what does the computer do for the trans. Throw me some more pointers!

thanks,

Donovan

There are several write-ups on doing this swap. I used the 88 AW4, but you have to somehow get the Renix TPS onto the HO throttle body. I did this by making a "widget" and using longer bolts to hold the Renix TPS to the HO throttle body. The old kickdown cable is too short for the HO engine, thus the problems I'm having. I used the Renix fuel rail, since it has the fuel pressure regulator built into it. The XJ's with HO's had the fuel pressure regulator in the tank, thus you cannot use the new fuel rail. Use all of the sensors from your Renix engine putting them in exactly the same spots on your HO engine. The temp sender will not go in the head since the hole has been cast over in 98. I rounded out the plug in the drivers side of the block that most people relocate the sender to, so I drilled and tapped a hole in the water outlet (thermostat housing) and it works very well. I am running the HO injectors, but it runs rich, so I plan on going back to the Renix injectors soon. Everything else seems to run very well. I was quite surprised at how easily things went together. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions. I feel like this is pretty fresh in my head.

Scott

I got my cable on there. I did have to bring it almost all the way out on the adjustment though. I have a full wiring harness and ecu from the HO on there with the new fuel rail in place. I guess i'm just going to put an aftermarket fuelpump/ regulator or maybe just a regulator on it from Summit. Is the crank position ring on the flywheel different on the HO compared to the renix? I put the Renix flywheel on the HO and used the HO sensor on it. I seem to have spark and fuel right now... but i don't know if its working right. It was running pretty good the other day and then it fouled the plugs. I thought it may have been starving for fuel but when i checked the plugs they were soaked.

retime it

Its probably 180 degrees out of time. I did that the first time when I swapped my engine. Top dead center it again.

As far as the CPS, I don't really know what to tell you. I would say use the HO CPS and flywheel if you are going to use the HO ECU, but I wouldn't hold me to that. According to many of the Jeep mechanics I've talked to, all AW4s are identical so...

Scott

I didn't check it. but i also didnt have the distibutor out. It came straight out of the 98 running with everything on it except the ac. I actually ran it today and found a problem to fix. The chassis ground. i assumed the engine ground would be enough. .. it wasn't. so i hooked it up and got it running for a little bit. then the same thing happend.. it flooded out for some reason. I can't figure that one out yet. it was running pretty good so i'm thinking i'm good right now. i think with the old pump on there it may be building too much pressure and causing it to overfuel when the engine isn't spinning that fast, like on start up. i think i have a plan for a regulator though. was there any other dumb problems that may hold me up that you can think of?

Back