• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock 5-Speed gears

Axle gear ratio?

3.07:1

Given that 5-speeds don't give you the torque mulitplication or super-slow crawls that an auto will give you, I'd go deeper than 4.10 for 33" tires. 4.56 or 4.88 even.

Unless you never plan to do any low-speed off road driving. :D

My G/F is going to put 4.56 gears in her XJ and only plans to run 31" tires behind an auto trans.

(for the record, my Trooper came with 4.77 diff gears stock and I still tach under 3k at 75 mph)

I made up a spread sheet that is helpful in making gearing choices Email me if you want it.

Apanthropy said:
My G/F is going to put 4.56 gears in her XJ and only plans to run 31" tires behind an auto trans.

I hope she won't regret it. You're in Arizona, right? And you folks out there do a lot of high speed highway driving, right?

By virtue of having stumbled into the combination, I can attest that 31x10.50R15 tires through 3.73 gears works out to exactly the same final drive ratio as tock 225/75R15 tires run through stock 3.55 gears. 4.10s are the next step for 31s. The 3.73s give you 2200 RPM @ 65 MPH. 4.10s will spin at 2420 RPM. 4.56s will bring her up to 2690 RPM @ 65 MPH, and 3100 RPM @ 75 MPH.

That's not actually too fast for the engine, as it's pretty much in line with the RPMs the older versions turned in pre-overdrive days with AMC, but it is more RPM than most of you younger fols are accustomed to or comfortable with. And it won't help the gas mileage much.

Back