• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 oil filter adapter leak

CustomCab

NAXJA Forum User
I just discovered this last night and thought I'd ask.

I developed a slight oil leak and it was dripping off the bellhousing. Fearing the worst I "assumed" it was a rear main seal. On closer inspection it's actually the oil filter adapter leaking right where it seals to the block. I didn't take it apart (it was late) but does anybody know off hand if that gasket is available seperatly? I haven't even checked yet. It might even be the same as the oil filter gasket since it goes in the exact same place. I don't know. My Gr. Cherokee doesn't have this 90° adapter.
Thanx, Phil (dripping in Indiana)

On my 88 XJ the oil filter mount uses 3 O-rings. The HO engines also use 3 O-rings. Go the local Jeep dealer and pick up the set of three.

There is an artical on www.madxj.com. It posted to the engine sub section of the techical section. Look for article on "oil filter upgrades". It has nice pictures and shows you what you will be getting into.

As normal is a good practive to apply some oil to the new o-rings before you install them.

Good Luck!

Thanx, I was wondering what was under that adapter. I didn't have any luck getting into that site. All I got was this place....Alentus Home Page. I don't know what the problem is there. Thanx again though, Phil

Yeah...I need to do mine also. Anyone know how long this will take and difficulty? Any special tools?

try this www.madxj.com

It does not like having a period after the "com" I got the same warning when I used my link, hope this helps

Yeah !! I tried that a few minutes ago and got in. That makes it very clear! Thanx you saved me some leg work. Phil

I did mine sleeping

Piece of cake to replace them just make sure you get the right ones. There are more than 1 size and it goes by year mostly but even that has let me down before.

Rabbit
Jeep asst parts manager

time it takes

i just did my 93 it took about 45 min to do the job. mine took a 9/16 allen to do it. i took out the bolt on the motor mount and lifted it till i had enough room to put a ratchet on it. wasnt to bad after i looked at it long enough. i to thought it was the rear main/oilpan gasket . changed them and found out the hard way that wasnt my problem. good luck

Just called the dealer and he has the o-ring kit in stock. How strange is that? All of $3.22. Whew!

Thanx, Phil

:D :D :D

Back