• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Transfer Case

xjndmud

NAXJA Forum User
i was going down the interstate today about 75 and started getting some vibes, so i slowed down to bout 70 then a few minutes later hear some poping and all, thought it was just a drive shaft, so no prob right? wrong, i pulled over, looked underneeth and my transfer case was split wide open. my cell phone wouldnt get a signal, so i walked a few miles and found a phone, got some help and got home bout two hours later. what would make it break like that, i'll get some pics soon. 190k miles on original tcase, transmision, rebuilt motor with less than 25k miles on it, and rebuilt 8.25, i had also noticed on occasion if i gave it too much gas in 4wd hi or low, it would kind of rev and make a pop noise then go, would that be the t case too? thanks:confused:

sounds like the chain inside was not grabbing right and was binding not a happy thing. as you have learned. guess the best you can do is pull it apart and see the carnage:eek:

OUCH!

Check the obvious first - lose the chain, planet set blow out, anything like that? Also, did you recover all the case pieces? That would allow you to check for voids in the walls (air pockets in the casting.)

Beyond that, your guess is as good as mine. Sounds like something major had a SGEF (Sudden Gratuitous Existence Failure.)

5-90

the chain was what was holding it together, and i pick up all the pieces i could find

what i need to know right now is if a np231 and the 231 J model are compatible.... and being that this is my daily driver can i use a 207 for the time being till i can save up the loot to get a 231 is the j isn't compatible.
i have access to a 231 J which would allow me to get to college, and also a np207. need to know if i can use either one for the time being??? PLEASE HELP SOON..... homework due on wed.

the 231 in the 88? & newer XJs is a J model (J = Jeep D=Dodge) what matters most is if the input splines are the same. All the older ones had 21 spline but they started switching to 23 spline around 90-91.

The 207 is always 21 spline, and was used in 84-8? 4 cyl IIRC,

So it sounds like you need a 23 spline 231J. If you can't lay your hands on one locally, Joachim from Raleigh area had one for sale earlier this fall & may still have it?

thanks woody, next time i go to uwharrie i'll let you know and you can go wheel with us.

Back