• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0L Rebuild

homchz

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone had good luck rebuilding a 4.0. I am debating a remanufactured long block or finding a motor and rebuilding myself. Are there good kits available? Want to beable to trust the Chreokee a bit more but at 205K and not knowing much about the previous owner(s) I am leary to just take off on a long run with it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I am not looking to make a stroker out of it, just looking ot rebuild the stok motor, can it be done well for less than a reman?

Thanks
Josh

Nobody rebuilds 4.0L engines -- they never quit. :D

Seriously, the only people I know or know of with rebuilt engines in their XJs are three people with stroker engines: Bones, Stroker, and Bob Salemi from RI. I'm certain there are folks here who may have rebuilt their engines, but I don't know who they are.

205,000 isn't a lot on a 4.0L. I'm at 239,000+ in my '88 and I still get 23 MPG highway. Other people have gone over 300,000. I'd suggest running a compression test and making a decision after you know more. Replacing a rear main seal and perhaps valve seals will be a whole lot cheaper than a rebuild, and may be all you need.

rebuild

rebuilt a 90 4.0 with "only" 200,000 miles on it. First time rebuilding a 4.0. Eagle is right. when torn down it was in really in good shape. just a little normal wear. did it anyway. probably was not necessary but enjoyed doing it for the peice of mind and learning experience. master kit was about $470.00 $225.00 for an rv cam. .30 over. replaced a lot of sensors until I learned the reason it was running crappy after the rebuild was that the distibutor needed to be indexed due to the cam. got that gem of info here on NAXJA. anyway, it was probably not necessary like Eagle said but I learned a lot doing it.

How does the RV cam perform? Do you feel more low- and mid-range torque? How's the gas mileage compared to before the rebuild?

I have 214,000 and I was considering a rebuild. If my motor is running good, what can I do to freshen it up. Will cleaning the intake and having the head cleaned do anything for me. She doesnt smoke and runs pretty good. Any suggestions. Thanks guys.

90red

cam

the rv cam did in fact produce a noticable difference in low to mid range torque. throttle responce was also improved. never checked the gas mileage, speedo is off a few mph on the new transfer case, almost 10 mph off. I'll check it after i fix it.

Back