• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Next modifications?

gigantor919

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I just threw a 3" Rough Country lift on my 89' this weekend and I'm slapping on a set of 31" tires and new rims this week.

What should be my next modifications? I don't do a lot of off-roading, but I want to start dabbling in it more. I was considering upgrading my rear end to one with a limited slip. What should I look to buy? What other modifications should I look to do in the next 6-8 months?

Thanks!

DITTO....rock rails and skids......AJ's off road is awsome for rails and cheap, and for skids the factory Mopar skids are a start. after that maybe go for bumpers, winch, then gears and lockers.

GOOD LUCK

Buy a sawzall and stuff 33's like me :D

I don't get it

Why does everyone immediately say rock rails and skids when someone asks what to do next? We don't know where gigantor919 lives or the type of wheeling he does.

gigantor919, what types of trails do you plan to do with your XJ?

Knowing only what we do now, I would suggest a rear locker. You can't go wrong increasing traction.

Point.

You also can't go wrong guarding your junk with some quality armor.
A friendly Jeeper with a strap will get you where an open dif can't.
Repairing thrashed rockers is another matter entirely.
Welcome to the possibilities of off-pavement driving.
Good luck.

I agree that armor is important when it becomes necessary for the type of wheeling you do. Here in lower Michigan, a locker is money better spent because rocks are an endangered species here. I was lifted, Swamper'd, locked, and low geared long before I put any armor on my junk.

Again, it's relative to the wheeling you do. MI is two tracks and mud.

On second thought, get solid tow points front and rear before you do anything else.

i agree with the sliders and armor i put this off on my last xj and it showed i destroyed my rockers int was very woried about the underside of the jeep when i bashed that all up. on this xj these were the first mods i did and they are well worth it . you dont have to spend alot on the stuff steel is cheep and if you have a drill you can bolt the stuff on if you cant weld;)

Back