• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG M/T KM's in the snow?

tnomud

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone run the BFG MT KM's in the snow? If so, how do they do? We get a lot of that white stuff here in Ohio..............

Thanks............

What size tire are ya runnin? That means more then the brand.....it's the width that kills ya....Like a 33x9.50/15 would be better then a 12.50 because you don't ride "on" the snow as much and you get better control.....but a 12.50 would be better in aspect if your "wheelin" in the snow because you can air them down to 10psi and it's like putting snowshoes on a ribbit....

Rob

tnomud said:
We get a lot of that white stuff here in Ohio..............
[/B]

yeah right:roflmao:

anyway for the small amount of snow you get they will probably be fine but if you really want to know driving 6 months out of the year on snow with them sucks. They don't grip for crap but when the snow gets deep they rock.

PS- where I live we get 250" every year of the white stuff.

I am running 31x10.5's.

We get snow from Novemeber-March here and LOTS of it. We get this deal (Michigan guys can relate) called "lake effect snow". Often dumps 6-8 inches over night while the rest of the state is clear and sunny.

the BFG AT KOs are much better in snow. i have had the 33x10.5 mts and had to use 4wd to get up my driveway 8of 10 days last winter. this past winter i had the 12.5 ats and almost never needed 4wheel and durring the blizerd thing in denver i was one of the few driving around b4 plow truck.

WIll

I tried some BFG M/T s in Moab. I have always run A/Ts. The man at the tire place told me if you run alot of packed snow and ice M/Ts are not the tire to use.

I am thinking about getting some but I will keep my old A/Ts for winter.

We do quite a few trips every year wheeling in deep snow offroad.

Leave your AT's at home unless you run chains.

last winter i ran some 30x9.5 bfg at's they were better then my M/T's.

it looked pretty funny running 30's with 6-7" lift and enough trimming to fit 36's.

but i didnt slide off the road :D

Down at the other end of Ohio.. we get some white stuff too.. not nearly as much as Cleveland, but i think we get more icy type snow...
Ran my 30x9.5 BFG ATs all winter and didn't have problem staying on the road well, except for the one patch of ice..but that different NO tire is going to do good on ice. (Yes..unless it has spikes). And no..I didn't drive it like a grandpa either.
Just drive a little more cautious and you'll be fine no matter with tire ya have.. AT or MT... just don't try it bald..lol.

Well, I used to race Rally Cars and do race SCCA, I can drive pretty well. WHat kind of tire pressure can I run in these tires on the street (winter)? They are new tires..............

I ran 31x10.50's BFG M/T KM's on my old ZR2. I blasted through snowbanks, "plowed" snow with my airdam, and put thousands of winter miles on them. I was very impressed with their traction. Never was I scared or did they slide and put me in a sticky situation. I drove in 4hi on 4" of snow on the road at 70 mph in spots and they never EVER slipped.

I'd highly reccommend them, besides M/T's look WAY better than A/T's IMO.

Good luck.

For the winter conditions where I live, I like MT's better. They'll dig down through the snow to the pavement below. Sheet ice, isn't incredibly common, and doesn't last long. Usually most melts durning the day and refreezes into crusty ice at night. Snow doesn't last on the road more than a few days in most cases, ice melts away quick too.

I've got a set of 31x10.5 BFG MT KM's.

Last edited:
Back