• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keyless Entry...How To Reset?

pancake

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a used one on ebay, same part number as mine. Anyone know how to set this up for a 1998 Cherokee Sport? Thanks!!!!!

BTW, I searched and found nothing. :cool:

While you're on eBay...

...pick up an Owner's Manual for your XJ. They end up going for about $6 bucks.

Anyway..if you have the IR keyless, the manual says:

1. Sit inside the vehicle and close all the doors-
2 .Place ignition in the OFF position-
3. Open the driver's door and leave open during programming procedure-
4. Move the mechanical door lock lever to the LOCK position-
5. Turn ignition to the RUN position-
6. Aim the transmitter at the Keyless Entry reciever and press the Lock button-
7. Hold the button until the light on the transmitter blinks twice. The door locks will cycle-
8. Turn ignition OFF within 20 seconds.
9. Check reciever memory by cycling the door locks using the transmitter. Up to four transmitters may be programmed to a vehicle.

And that's it! If by chance you have the RF system it's even easier. Go into the "Set-up" or "Menu" portion on the overhead info display and scroll to the "Keyless Entry" portion, and just follow the prompts.

Good Luck!;)

Kejtar said:
I believe the 98 is a dealer programming only type of a thing (I got a 98 as well...)

Kejtar

Un...You're kidding right? That SUCKS!!!!

They probably charge to do it also??? :mad:

pancake said:
Un...You're kidding right? That SUCKS!!!!

They probably charge to do it also??? :mad:

no they don't charge you they just say "bend over please while you pay for this":rolleyes:

When I went to try to have mine programed for a 92, it cost me $35 for them to tell me the computer in my truck was fried. They didn't even mess with the remote, so have fun with it. I ended up going to Central Auto Parts and picked up an aftermarket kit for $45 and installed it and it works MUCH BETTER. Alot longer range on the kit. Just my $.02
Tylor

When I needed my 97 remote programmed I phoned the closest Jeep dealer and they said that they charge 1/2 labor. I called another 20 miles away and they said they'd do it for free. The second dealer also told me that their sister company, a Dodge dealership, would also do it for free. So I went to the Dodge dealership which was directly across the street for the first Jeep dealer I called.
Now I bet you can guess where I get all my Jeep parts from.

92jeeper...

Do you have a part number or any more info on the keyless entry system?? Looks like it might be a better option. :(

Back