• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help w/ removing T-Case and Tranny

Sean B

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have a good write-up on how to remove the tranny and t-case on an xj. I have an 89 with the aw4 and the 242. I've never done this before and my chilton's manual is crap. Thanks

Its pretty simple. Pull the starter, pull the flywheel to torque converter bolts, pull the bellhousing bolts and pull the crossmember bolts. Be sure to chock yer tires, yank the driveshaft and disconnect the battery first though;)

Mike

Oh yeah, dont forget the little stuff like the shifter linkages, wiring, speedo wire/cable and CPS plug.

Disconnect battery and remove starter. NOTE - one starter bolt is 3/8", the other is M10. Don't ask why...

Drain transmission and transfer case.

Unbolt yokes and remove driveshafts.

Place jack under transmission/transfer case assembly (note - it may be easier to remove transmission and transfer case seperately.)

Locate and unfasten transfer case breather hose.

Unbolt transfer case shift linkage from transfer case studs.

Locate connector for and disconnect Neutral Safety Switch (pax side.) Locate connector for and disconnect solenoid harness (driver's side.)

Disconnect speedometer cable from transfer case rear output.

Disconnect vehicle speed sensor (electrical) from transfer case output. (I think that's all the connectors

Unbolt transmission shifter from shift rod.

Remove transmission inspection plate from lower bellhousing.

Rotate flexplate manually and unbolt torque converter (there are four bolts, use 3/4" socket.) Inspect bolts for thread deformation, discard and replace if imperfect in any way!

Remove lower and upper bellhousing bolts. NOTE - Upper bellhousing bolts require the use of an E12 socket (external Torx) to remove. They may be replaced with 3/8"-16 bolts with standard head of similar length.

Watch for vent hose for transmission case as you remove transmission! Slide transmission/transfer case rearward about 4-6" to clear torque converter and lower assembly. NOTE - that torque converter is REALLY heavy! Figure there's a lot of metal and about a gallon of fluid in there...

That should do it. There may be incidentals I'm forgetting, it's been a while...

5-90

Back