• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions about adjusting a New TPS

talon39

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a new TPS for my 1990 Cherokee 4.0L Automatic.

I have the multimeter instructions, however after reading the following I'm a bit concerned.

Adjusting TPS lessons

In this thread he says
We talked and concluded the multimeter method does NOT take in account any voltage drop in the vehicle harness. Using the test set you can find out what value the engine computer is using.

He basicly says that when he re-checked TPS's that were set using the multimeter method with his snap-on MT2500 he found them to be off.

Is this true and if so how can I compensate for this using my multimeter?

Also I just tested the voltages on my square lead of the TPS. The one Marked D.
It is showing .78VDC !
Isn't it supposed to be a ground with under .1VDC ?
What could cause the extra voltage and what should I do about it? Just to make sure it wasn't a cross in my backprobe I dis-connected the harness and checked directly from the D pin to the Chasis. Still measures .78VDC.:confused:

Well use the multimeter method if that all you have. I was just saying using the test set like Rags use to talk about does work better.

Set it and IF you ever are in the shop then ask them to check it for you.

As to my .78 volts on my ground. I spliced a ground wire to "D" and that seems to have solved the problem.
I checked "A" and it showed 4.7VDC, so I adjusted the TPS until "B" read 3.85VDC, being that is 82% of 4.7.
Is that correct? My friend who used to be a mechanic thought this was a very strange method of setting the TPS and was concerned that I was doing it wrong. He was concerned that the voltage I set "B" to was outside of the normal range of 4.0 - 4.4v at closed throttle. He was also very concerned that I did not take any measurement at full throttle.
Is it necassary to make a full throttle adjustment when setting a new TPS?

A per the fsm is "approximately" 5 volts. It may vary slightly. 4.7 is w/in spec and w/in the paremeters we typically see on this forum. My 89 is showing 5.2 volts the last time I checked a few weeks ago. So long as you set your % correctly you should be fine. Greg

Okay, so here's my problem...

I have a 1990 with an automatic trans.

I checked my tps via the square 4-pin plug, and came up with
Input - 4.61
Output - 0.02

That was with the key on. NOW...I have a dead battery, and had "booster" cables hooked up. Would that make my output voltage be that low? 'Cause as it sits, instead of the ".825-.835"(82%-83%) that it suggests, I'm at .0043383947(Or, 01%).

The problem with the transmission is, the shifting USED to be all eratic, shifting at REALLY weird points, then eventually, it changed to revving up really high, and doesn't seem to want to shift at all anymore...After taching it out a bunch, it does shift.

I tried adjusting the TPS, and while the leads were hooked up(Set up to read output voltage), I moved the TPS a little in each direction, and it made NO difference...Output OR Input. Is this a sign of a HORRIBLE TPS? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks guys.
-Mike-

Back