• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Height

mattb

NAXJA Forum User
I've been running a 3" lift with a full replacement spring pack in the rear for about 2.5 yrs. About 12 months ago I put on 31x10.5" tires. Unfortuantly the rear tires have been chewing up the wheel wells (I've got skid marks on the inside walls and the rear fender is all torn up.

Before I decide on how to fix the situation I want to find out wether I still have a full 3" of lift in the back. Stupidly I took no before or after measurements. So my question is "How high is the stock cherokee?" I know "high" is subjective so a measurement to any fixed point near the rear wheel well would be useful.

Thanks,

Matt

BTW: I'm posting this in the "modified" section in case anyone has any thoughts on the best way to deal with this.

The accepted standard is to measure from the centerline of the wheel to the bottom of the flares,17.5" front/17" rear.

According to Ed Stevens' web site, you can run 31" tires on a stock height XJ, IF it's a '96 or older (old body style), and IF you run extended rear bump stops. It sounds like you either didn't extend your rear bump stops, or (like many of us) they rusted and fell off, and you never noticed.

Wow, that is odd for 31s to be chewing so much with a 3" lift...I have only a 4" lift (3.5" rear) and I have 32s on with like 2.5" of clearance....

I do have an 89, though... If yours is older, perhaps you should look at the offset of your wheel (backspacing..)

Just my .02..

Thanks for the info. It seems I still have about 2.75" of lift. That Ed Stevens article was helpful. I think I'll be taking a look at the bump stops this weekend. If I have to lower them too much maybe I'll put on some long shackle also.

Just for information, I've got a 96 w/ the alloy rims

Matt

Back