• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ride and flex of Rustys 6" springs

BIG98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
time to get rid of the 4" blocks got a good deal on 6" springs, but want some opinions first!

AVOID RUSTY'S REAR SPRINGS!!!

I have his front coils and love them. I've overcompressed them way too much for them to still be alive, and they're truckin along quite nicely. His leafs on the other hand have given me nothing but problems. I'm on my second set of 4.5" leafs after breaking a bottom leaf in the first set(my wheel wells don't allow me to overcompress these springs, so I don't think the break was my fault). This set looks like a pair of W's and has required the addition of a 3.5" AAL and a 1" shackle to keep me in the 4-5" range depending on load. I do run a heavy bumper, but still, it's not THAT heavy. Just my first hand opinion on Rusty's leafs. Oh and this set was put in last September or October, so they've lasted about a year.

Ary

Edit: I would recommend another spring manufacturer, but I've only had personal experience with Rusty's, so I'll leave the recommendations to others. I will state that I am planning on junking these in favor of some BigOffroad 4" leaves.

MO: no Rustys, yes RE

I'll second the above. Stay away from Rusty's springs. I got his 4.5" kit, and the springs I got were enough to give me 6". However, the ride was awful, to harsh and bumpy. I removed the lower leaf from the springs and the ride was much improved. Together with some 0.75" shackles it is OK now, but now my springs look like W's if you know what I mean. I am afraid that I'll have to put the lower leaves back again and add some spacers in the front.

Oh yes, and they are not very flexy! Also they moved around in their original bushings, enough to cause rubbing on the metal inside their front mounts. Oh and also they rub on the shackles too. Oh and their anti-friction pads break off after a short while. Oh and .... oh well, too many problems with them.

Details can be found at the signature site.

The only part of his kit that is OK (so far) is the front coils.

Rgds

RE1462 4.5" pack
RE1468 shim
Rusty's SR15 shackle

Presto! You got around six. What is your front setup? I have heard great things about BOR springs and JonJon. However, You can burn through 2 sets of RE springs that flex great. I think the BOR's have to be a bit stiff to meet JonJon's design goals. I run the above setup, short arms, and Rusty's 6.5 front coils and am very satisfied.

P

Sorry But I love my Rusty's leaf and all of my kit....Have been running Rusty on all my rigs for 4 years and never a problem..just put the LA 6.5" on in May and is rides like a dream and it handled great in Moab...

I have rustys 8 inch long arm and it is GREAT!!!! it is a 6.5 inch lift pack and the 1.5 inch shackle...Just a question but did you get one of those deals rusty was offering on the packs that were scratched up for 60 bucks I think.

Well called up rusty today and found out that the $60 deal was for coils. When he said springs I though leafs, o well my 6" SJ coils are doin nicely with the spacers, thanks for the input anyways!

Back