• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Problem

bleech1

NAXJA Forum User
I recently overhauled my entire rear drum brakes on my '90XJ Laredo, 4.0L. This is to include new drums, shoes, all mounting hardware, cylinders, brake lines and e-brake cables. Everything seemed fine after the install. Bled the cylinders and all seemed well. My Ebrake didn't hold very well, and I figured I just needed to adjust the shoes out some more, but never got around to it. No big deal. The brakes worked fine on the road.

So I take the Jeep out on Sat for some "light" wheeling. Brakes seemed ok aftwards. Now, today, the brake peddle goes to the floor, and I have almost no brakes. Check the fluid level, added a bit to the front section (the smaller one, the rear I believe). I checked for any broken lines, all seemed well. One connection to the cylinder on the rear was a bit loose so I retourqed it.

Still no brakes. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply Tincan. I was thinking that myself. Could I have just knocked some type of vaccum hose off? I've never changed a master cyclinder and don't really know what's involved.
Is it a PITA? How much for a new one?

Thanks.

It probably is the master cylinder if it goes to the floor, but if you had to add fluid and tighten a connector on the wheel cylinder you should probably bleed the system again and check for leaks before making a judgment.

A vacuum problem will cause a harder pedal.

Back