• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disabling ABS

janorine

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
I pick up my new (to me) 96 XJ tomorrow and I'm already planning to swap out its existing Dana 35 for a 29 spline 8.25. however, I think the new rig may have ABS and of course, the 8.25 will not. My question is, how do I properly disable the ABS so as to not have any conflicts with the remainder of the brake and electrical system? Has anybody else out there performed this same swap?

cut the lines!!!! or jsut pull the fuse!!!;)

stoney

I would also like to hear from people who have done this. I assume that if you simply pull the fuse then the computer will forever complain that the ABS system is faulty. How can the ABS be disabled and/or removed without causing any other problems.

Thanks,
-Brian

Pull the fuse under the dash, this disables the ABS system and the light comes on on the dash. Now pull the ABS pump relay from the powerbank under the hood. This kills the pump and makes the light turn off. No ill side effects with the current generation ABS systems. This is exactly how I disabled the system on my '95 XJ 3 years ago, and I've been running like that ever since with no problems what so ever.

Why?

Why would you want to disable the ABS? I'm being a smartass, but I'm new to this and am asking a real question.

Robert

Re: Why?

XJWheelie said:
Why would you want to disable the ABS? I'm being a smartass, but I'm new to this and am asking a real question.

Robert

Well, most "aftermarket" axles aren't equipped with ABS, so if you swap in a new axle, as I did, ABS won't work with that axle so the system needs to be disabled (it's a 4-wheel system and you can't just disconnect one half of the rig).

In janorine's case the axle he's swapping in isn't ABS equipped either, so his ABS system needs to be disabled.

Also, the ABS pump takes up a fair amount of room under the hood. Room that could be used for an air compressor or something else, so some folks disable the ABS system in order to take out the pump to free up that room under the hood. I just haven't gotten around to pulling out my pump yet. ;)

Jeepin Jason said:
Pull the fuse under the dash, this disables the ABS system and the light comes on on the dash. Now pull the ABS pump relay from the powerbank under the hood. This kills the pump and makes the light turn off. No ill side effects with the current generation ABS systems. This is exactly how I disabled the system on my '95 XJ 3 years ago, and I've been running like that ever since with no problems what so ever.

I have no diagram of which fuse is which under the dash, do you know which one it is? Can you take a pic, or something? thx!

And then i just pull the huge relay under the hood in the relay box, and im done?

Speed_racer said:
I have no diagram of which fuse is which under the dash, do you know which one it is? Can you take a pic, or something? thx!

And then i just pull the huge relay under the hood in the relay box, and im done?

It's listed in the owners' manual and any service manual (ie: Chiltons, Hayes, etc). I don't know which one it is off-hand, but I could look it up tonight if no one posts it before then. The pump relay is marked in the relay bank, you just pull it out.

DO all 96's have ABS?

if u just cut the lines or anything like that the system defaults to normal braking conditions! trust me i did it about a year ago! brakes work bling bling!!

stoney

Dana 44

"Well, most "aftermarket" axles aren't equipped with ABS, so if you swap in a new axle, as I did, ABS won't work with that axle so the system needs to be disabled (it's a 4-wheel system and you can't just disconnect one half of the rig)."

So if I get my hands on a older Dana 44 that was originally in an XJ I'll have to disconnect ABS as well?

Thanks,
Robert

Re: Dana 44

XJWheelie said:
So if I get my hands on a older Dana 44 that was originally in an XJ I'll have to disconnect ABS as well?

Thanks,
Robert

Yeppers, that's my situation. My '95 came with ABS, but it now sports a D44 from an '87 XJ, so the ABS went bye-bye!

Back