• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 & 35" tires = CTMs?

gixj90

NAXJA Forum User
I am going from about 5.5" lift to 8", and plan on running 35's or possibly 36's on a stock D30 with Warn alloy inner & outer shafts and regular 297-X u-joints with the 5 on 5.5 hub kit. I am not bad about breaking anything with the 32's I have been running at 5.5" inches, but with 35-36 inch tire, should I spend the bucks for CTM's, or use the new DANA HD 297's (don't know the real number yet) I will have both shafts out soon to replace the seals, so now is the time, thanks for the info!

the 760x joints are good, the CTMs are great, and now there is also something in the middle: Longfield joints http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=174942

You get what you pay for... you decide what you want. personally, I would run 760s with full circle clips, but of course I'm a poor college kid and wouldn't have Warn shafts either.

I wonder where your weak link is going to be in the front axle. What gears are you running? If you are using 4.56 gears you may end up breaking the pinion gear. Something always breaks. It is better if that something is cheap and easy to repair. A friend of mine runs a D44 with 5.13s, CTMs, forged shafts and I think it was Ramsey hubs. He likes to use the cheaper hubs because they blow before anything else and they are a cheap and easy trail repair. The hubs he uses also don't chew up the shaft when they break. They just come out in pieces. You may want to put in a hub conversion and Warn fuse hubs assuming you don't have a detroit locker. Fuse hubs will break the Detroit.
Also if you are doing a re-gear right now, you may want to consider going to a D44. It may cost more up front but it is likely cheaper in the end.

Back