• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 zj engine & tranny in 94 xj?

Well, it's possible to put nearly any tranny/engine in your XJ...the question is how easy do you want it to be? :) The 4.0 I'm sure can go in relatively easy, I don't know about the tranny.

well i have an hour to decide if i want to but the tranny off ebay for only 195 plus 95 shippin it has like 41k on it
it says its for a reg. cherokee but a 42re is only for grand cherokees

Jake1z said:
do u think the new engine will bolt up to my old trans with sum minor modification

If your old engine is a 4.0 a 4.0 out of a ZJ should bolt right up to your trans and motor mounts, although some other things might need minor modification. If you're getting the tranny seperate from the engine don't bother with the ZJ tranny, get an AW4 that was meant for the XJ...it's one of the strongest trannys ever made...and should fit perfectly.

The engine will bolt up to your old transmission with NO modifications, other than swapping in your old CPS. However, the 42RE is a Chrysler elctonically controlled tranny and your XJ doesn't have an integrated PCM (Power Control Module) to control it, so short of re-wiring your XJ to make it into an electronic clone of a 99 Grand (which, BTW, is a WJ, not a ZJ) -- it ain't gonna work.

Therefore, unless you can buy the whole mess for the price on the engine alone, skip the deal.

Yes, the WJ 4.0L got coil-on-plug ignition in 1999, the XJ didn't get it until 2000. I don't know if that ignition can be made to operate with your computer.

Back