• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 dying, rebuild? 300 with flip? Atlas? help!

mattk

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '97 with a AW-4 and a 242 with 98K miles on it. The case has a SYE form MIT in it. The T-case is making clicking sounds at low speeds and won't go into or out of 4wd well. It is not just a loose chain this time. I'll be tearing it open in about a week to see exactly what the problem is.
My question is what exactly is involved in putting an Atlas or a flipped 300 into the vehicle? What needs to be done with the shift linkage? Do they both need an adapter to the tranny?
The engine is a stock 4.0 but may be a stroker some day.
The vehicle sees mostly the street but gets wheeled hard a several times a year.
TIA
Mattk

rebuild teh 242 around 500.00
used 242 around 150.00
used 231 around 150.00
atlas around 2200.00
flipped 300 around 1600.00

if money is no object the atlas is the best bet

the 300 flipped needs a upgraded output shaft or its strength is only as good as the 231

the atlas is a simple bolt in with minimal changes

the 231 is a direct bolt in and stronger than the 242

the most complicated is the flipped 300

If you wheel it only a few times a year, I wouldn't lay out the cash for an Atlas. That's a lot of cash for something you'll barely use.

But if you do decide on the Atlas, the spacer/adaptor is free if you need it.

The shifter is a completely separate unit from your 242's shifter. It's pretty easy to install, just have to spend a little time adjusting it so it shifts smoothly. You'll also have to enlarge the hole where you removed the stock shifter, to allow the Atlas' twin shifters room to come up through the floor.

I don't know about the 300/flip kit.

Also, as xjnation suggested, the 231 might be the route to go. :dunno:

AtlasII! Im going with a 4.3:1 pertty soon! :D

Matt, go Atlas, you didn't tell everyone that you are running a 44/60 combo. With your tendancy to build out breakage, I think the Atlas is the only way to go. :D Good luck man, you've got a sweet rig to begin with. Slap an Atlas under there and your rig will be pure BLING:cool:

Ary

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will open it up and see what's inside. If it looks like I broke something I will get an Atlas. If I wore something out I will just rebuild it. I guess simpler is better for me even if it costs a little more. The 300 sounds like more of a PITA than I want to deal with. The only reason I'm not on the phone to Advanced Adapters right now is that I also broke a u-joint and bent a forged inner shaft going up Slickrock. (without a winch!!!! Yeah baby!!!) I'm replacing the shaft, getting CTMs and re-gearing to 4:56 this month and the credit card will be groaning as it is. But on the other hand I don't want to rebuild the 242 only to break it again next year.
We'll see. I'll try to post to let you know what happened.
Thanks again
mattk

Back