• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to pull sparkplugs?

Michman

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I'm a dummy. Beautiful day here in Michigan to install new plugs on my wife's new 97XJ, so in preparation I squirted some PB on it last night and then again this AM. Pulled out my trusty Craftsman half-inch 13/16 sparkplug socket, pulled the wire off, and huh...the socket wouldn't even go halfway down to the plug??? Did a search and it doesn't look like anyone else has had a problem pulling them, getting them out yeah, but not getting to them to wrench. What am I missing?
I did a sparkplug install on my TJ last summer, same 4liter engine, so I can't figure out what's up. Thanks in advance

Well unless they changed plug type you have the wrong socket!
Should be using a RC12LYC Plug,these are 5/8 " in size.Use a 3/8 drive and extension,I picked up a plug socket w/universal joint for $3.99 at AutoZone.
Remember to use silicone grease on the plug boot and some Anti-sieze on the plug threads, not too tight,1/4 turn after they reach bottom.
HTH
Wayne

Well that's wierd than because the new sparkplugs fit right into my socket. It's the socket that won't fit into the area I need to pull the sparkplug out of, as if it's too wide. I'll try a 5/8 and see if I have any better luck. Thanks

Do what Wayne said and get a cheap ass china socket w/universal at Autozone. They have nice thin walls.

Back