• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

installing glow gauges

CaptTrev

NAXJA Forum User
i just ordered a set of those blue/green glow gauges from ebay, and was wodnering how hard they were to install.

im sure they will some with some crappy instructions.....and im sure ill be able to figure it ouit either way....

buti was wondering if anyone could give me a few tips/tricks for doing it nicely.

how hard/whats involved in taking the gauge cluster out?

(I have 96 with full gauge cluster

all tips appreciated!!

Thanks!

CaptTrev

Yeah, when the instructions say to pull the needles out to put this thing in, don't. I have the full cluster with water, oil, temp, tach, all the goodies. The speedo works and the water temp works, nothing else. I will need to get a new cluster, but that will be when the truck is on the road again (I know, JEEP, but I tell the kids, "go get in the truck", it has become habbit) Take the screws out of the face of the gauge, and slide the colors over the needles, it will work that way, then you don't need to recalabrate the cluster when you put it back together, or worry about breaking any part. You got this I assume

Live and learn, then get luvs :D

mike-

yeah, thats the one i got (more or less). but i didnt pay 49.99 for it! only 29.99 on ebay.

any tips as far as wiring it up?

i assume u have to disconnect the factory gauge lighting as well as hook into the headlights switch for power.

any idea what color wires to look for etc etc?

thanks again

trevor

Alex,

thanks for the info! very helpful

I can't wait till they arrive and I can do the install.

I currently have some autometer ultralite gauges in my XJ with orange needles....so I think I might try to color the needles orange to match.
hopefully I can find a sharpie that color, otherwise its to the hobby store for some messy paints!

thanks again!

Trevor

Ok, here is a question. Why do you color the needles? I was looking at the 6 color for my '00 XJ, and getting the digital converter. If I don't color the needles, will I still be able to see them or what is the story?:confused:

coloring the needles

I'm going to color the needles for 2 reasons...

1) (and most importantly) the new glow gauges are WHITE faced, and my current gauge needles are also white in color....so there is no contrast between gauge face and needle=hard to read during the day

2) I think by having all of my gauge needles (OEM + 4 aftermarket autometers) with the same look (same colored orange needles) will look much better as whole.

Back