• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thanks, new windshield with gasket not trim

8991XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So after reading months ago that the newer windshield gasket can be used on the older XJs, I had my windshield replaced and used the gasket. Did not need to remove the tabs that mount the clips, just the clips. Really cleans up the looks, and I'm expecting lower wind noise at speed. Should also solve the leak problem as the urethane sealant surface under the windshield had rusted some. Best part was the total bill was only $140, as the tech threw in the gasket. Thanks for the hint.

signed,
Happy looking through new glass!!!

8991XJ,
I'm planning to do this too.

I searched, and read, but I just want to be clear on this, the 98+ doesn't use any adhesive at all?

Thanks!

The windshield is still glued in, the gasket goes around the windshield which is then glued into the body of the rig.

As far as pictures, I just have those of my cars. The Jeep is a Jeep, black faded paint that the next-door neighbor kids are allowed to use as a blackboard. I have pumpkins, a witch, moon, ghost and frankenstein on the hood now. So for an idea about the look, compare the later XJs with a black gasket surrounding the windshield and the older ones with dented, scrached (windshield wiper connecting arms needing Help part number 44995, which will prevent the excess travel), dirty chrome trim.

The black gasket is like the gasket on all the other windows on the unit. Now I guess I need to update the drip rail to black to bring the look together.

Great description of your Jeep:D I'm needing a new windshield on my 93 myself so thanks for the post. BTW, I did my drip rails and I recommend taking them off and either sanding or having them sandblasted before painting. I need to do mine again even though I sanded them and used SEM trim paint. This time I'm going to paint them as well as the drip edge underneath (little rust forming) with some POR15 I have leftover. I can't imagine I'll ever need to do it again.

Back