• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ 4.0L ODBII Reader

bbolander

NAXJA Forum User
I need to get an ODBII reader for my 98 XJ 4.0L (bought new in California). I've seen basic scanners for around $150 and scan tools that read when the engine is running for around $300. I won't be using a laptop to read when the engine is running. I do a lot of mechanical stuff at home but I'm wondering if the higher price scan tool is of much use unless you are a professional mechanic, and if the PC software available really would help someone like me to fix the car.

Any suggestions on the scanner you like or recommend would be appreciated. Unless I hear a reason to use the higher priced models I'll probably go with an Actron or Equus at around $150.

Thanks,
Bruce

I have also been hunting around for scanners lately and I found one real sweet setup. I have a Visor PDA and and they sell software that turns your PDA into a OBDII scanner with the ability to read codes as well as spit out info with the engine running and then graph it. Just the same kind of stuff you can get on a laptop but about $100.00 less (aprox $250.00). In my opinion its great to retrieve trouble codes , but for a $100.00 extra dollars I can have real time engine scanning. The extra value of real time engine scanning is you can monitor your engine sensors voltages and outputs while the car is in operation and diagnose failing parts or trouble before it really messes up your day. Hopefully i get one someday.

Goodluck to ya.
Drew:)

Thanks Drew,

Do you have a website for the Visor PDA and scanning software that I could look at?

By the way, my family and I love the Utah trails too. I'm in Irvine California but have family in SLC. We spend a lot of time in Orderville near Kanab four-wheeling around in that area.

Bruce

Drew,

Forget the question about where to find the Visor ODBII. I just searched it on the web and found a ton of sites.

Bruce

www.aeswave.com, the product you are looking for is called "CJ-II." It is listed as working with Palm III/VII, Palm V, Palm m100, and Handspring Visors (and I need to check again to see if it can also talk to my Sony SJ20.) The company is out of Fresno, and provides what they call "generic" OBD-II data, so it will work with 96-up and give basic driveability data. I seem to recall that it can be had with or without a PDA.

5-90

PDA-Based OBDII scanner

Back