• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distributor?

8Mud

NAXJA Forum User
88 XJ 4.0. was messing around with the distributor today. Replaced a couple of questionable cables.
Noticed the rotor had a lot of play, 1/8-3/16 of an inch at the rotor tip, just gear play, even more if you figure in the lift, if I keep on turning. Maybe it´s normal and I just never noticed before. Seemed awfully sloppy. Pulled the distributor, checked the gear, OK, pin is tight.
Next question, when I put the distributor in and started her up, she idled really nice, then I noticed I didn´t plug, the sync signal sensor plug back up. Idled better with the sensor unpluged? Did I put it in open loop?
Anyway, I´m making some progress, cleaning the grounds helped (especially the shifts) Resetting the distributor index, was good for a bunch of torque. Idle still hunts some,and it sometimes runs a little rough (unless I unplug the sync signal and ring).
Re-indexing the distributor, quieted down the valve train, used to rattle a bit more.
Think I´ve still got a bug or two in the ignition loop, but it´s close now, idles OK. Still has a little bucking (very little) at a round 2000 RPM.
Any imput would be appreciated. Shop manual isn´t helping much at this stage.

Back