• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removed carpet.

BUCKYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled some more carpet out last night and found my muffler. So anyway I will repair the hole (hopefully I don't find any more) and use bed liner for the floor. but I was thinking of putting down a sound deadener like dynomat or something first any ideas?

this past August I pulled the carpet and factory sound deadening material in my Trooper and rolled Herculiner onto the floor ..

The first day, it looked great! Since then I've been praying for my carpet back. The tire whine and engine buzz come through the floor ten times worse, heat radiates up at my legs mercilessly (not a good thing in phoenix), and I think it even made my stereo sound crappier (or maybe it's just that I had to turn it up more to hear it over the newly louder tire whine)

So, as soon as spare funds allow, I'm going to drop in one of these with some eDead and a couple "space blankets" under it. most of the benefits of a herc'd floor with none of the drawbacks. I'm sure the manufacturer of those pads makes one for XJ's as well.

That's my 2¢ - hope it helps you decide.

On that note; Has anyone had their interior professionally sprayed with a product such as RhinoLiner? I believe they can spray it up to a 1/4" thick. I would think that would solve the heat and noise problem (most do-it-yourself roll on's are very thin). I'm considering going the Rhino-route so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I had this problem too. pulled up the carpet and my cat. was looking at me. I sanded (the whole inside, some surface rust) and used a rust prevent. from nappa. Then I used some scrap sheet metal and pop-riveted it in w/sealer. Went back to nappa and got some spray on liner, 6 cans to be safe, tape off trim and went to work. I used about 4 cans and is close to .25" thick. I got tired of driving around with no carpet so I cleaned the old one and put it back in. I can feel a huge differnce now, Quieter and the inside stays cooler. Also with the liner in it any standing water that gets trapped under the carpet wont cause it to rust again.

buster

Back