• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where do the wires for the stock fog light switch go?

ZmOz

NAXJA Forum User
My '90 XJ didn't come from the factory with fog lights, but where the switch normally would be there is a blank cover and the wires for it. Since these wires aren't being used, I'm thinking they might make it alot easier to install a switch for my aux. fan. Does anybody know where the other end of these wires is?

Are you certain the wires are there? When I bought a factory switch for my light install, my parts guru also offered to sell me the factory fog light wiring harness (mine's an '88 so it should be close to yours). I know the wires are not there in mine, but I didn't want to use the factory wiring arrangement so I did my own anyway.

I don't know if I have the whole set of wires, but I don't think the wires that are there go all the way out to the front of the XJ. They are really small gauge, looks to be for controlling a relay. They aren't the wires that the lights would get their full current from.

The factory setup uses a relay that mounts to the driver's side radiator surround, in front of the air box.

You should never try to run halogen lights (or anything larger than a flashlight) directly off the switch, unless you have a friend whose family owns a switch factory.

If they are two lite green wires and one black. One lite green comes from the dimmer switch (low beam), the other lite green (with tracer) goes to the relay, the black grounds the indicator lamp.

Back