• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making my '97 into Up-Country suspension

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My rig is a '97 XJ. 4.0, 231J, AW-4, 30" AT's on 15" x 8" Canyon wheels.
This is my daily driver at least for 2 more years than maybe the big lift.
Til then, my rear is sagged- BAD. 167,00 miles on the rig.

I would like to replace springs and shocks to make into Up-Country specs.

Someone suggested in a post I previously read about using used ZJ 5.9 front springs. Any pro's or cons.

Where is good place to get springs for rear. I'm somewhat concerned about used rear up-countr springs as they are so long any used one's might have some sag in it. If I go with new ones, the rear spring rate = 220 is what someone once said in a post. Anyone confirm this?? Where would be a good company to buy new springs from?

Lastly, what would be the make and model of shocks that would be appropriate for the up-country XJ?

Appreciate your help-
Jeff-97XJ

If you get your rear springs rebuilt by a spring shop, and add in another leaf while you are at it, then you can approximate the Up Country ride height without having to buy new springs. (The installation of new springs is a bigger PITA than rebuilding the existing packs.)

Up Country is approximately 1" higher than stock. The XJ Up Country front coils are the same part number as a 5.2L ZJ front coil. I think the 5.9L coils will lift you more than an inch, and will be a stiffer ride.

Since you are looking for a temporary lift until you go big time, I don't think it's worth buying springs. New leaf springs go for over $100 each, and as you point out used ones will be of questionable height anyway.

For about $50 to $60 you can get a Rancho "soft-ride" full-length add-a-leaf that Rancho tech engineering says will lift an XJ approximately 2". If you start with sagged stock springs, that's probably going to net you about an inch over stock height. The Rancho part number is RS60913.

Add a pair of 3/4" coil spacers in the front and you're done. There is no need to change shocks for that amount of lift. Both Rancho and Monroe say stock length shocks are good for up to 2" of lift.

Back