• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loose T-case hose

XJade

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all! New to the list and new to auto mechanics in general. Need some help figuring out where a hose goes. While changing out the fluid in my transfer case [previous owner probably hadn't ever done this!! it was nasty looking and very low] I noticed a loose 3 foot vacuum/fluid(?) hose running from the (driver's side) top of the t.c. over the top of the transmision over to the (passenger's side) vicinity of the bell housing/engine. At the end of the hose was a metal tube with a broken off piece of bracket attached to it. I could not for the life of me figure out where that thing should have been originally bracketed to or if another hose was even connected to that tube. I did not notice any fluid in the hose but haven't really disconnected it at the t-case end to check. I am guessing that maybe this is some sort of vent tube?? If it is a breather tube what is it's function? And why does it have to route all the way to the engine compartment? Hopefully it's not a vacuum or fluid line because I haven't a clue where it goes.

Any help would be appreciated.

btw. 1987 XJ; 4.0L; NP242

That's just a vent hose, the broken off looking bit is actually just a check valve, so it's all good.

It's there for heat expansion, when the TC gets hot the fluid will expand, that way it will squirt out rather than blow a seal. It's routed up to the engine compartment because Jeep had the forsight to route the vents high so they don't get water in them.

Sequoia

Back