• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken speedometer

greenday9d1

NAXJA Forum User
the speedometer on my '92 xj only works about 50% of the time. It always breaks when the car starts, never after its been running. It will just not work for a while and then all of a sudden the needle will fly up and it works fine again. also when the speedometer is not working a check engine light comes on, which im guessing is because the odometer doesnt register while the speedometer is broken.

I think you have an electronic speedometer instead of speedometer cable.

For decades vehicles had a speedometer cable like those use on a bicycle. The gear in the transfercase would turn, the cable would turn and in turn the speedometer would register.

The electrical engineers figured out how to make a sensor that mounts to the transmission, then wires are connected to it and the other end of the wires are connected to your speedometer.

I think you have a worn out speedometer pickup/ speed sensor, what ever they call it. I think if you change it out with a new one it would solve your problem.

Why not call you local dealer and ask the parts dept if there is a speed pick up on the transfercase, and find out what it costs. They will be able to verify it is an electronic speedometer.

i had a stick bash mine one time, that pretty much did it.:mad:

Back