• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve noise

Hobby

NAXJA Forum User
2000 xj with 4.0, I noticed a valve tapping noise the other day for the first time. Also has a noise from the lower end when cold, that goes away when warm. From what I hear it is probably piston slap. The valve noise is what bothers me though. I run valvoline full synthetic 10/30. Oil pressure is 50psi at speed and about 30 at idle. Motor only has 44,000. This valve noise can't be normal is it? What could have caused it? I do have a warranty on it, would it just be best to take it to dealer?

Thanks

This may seem obvious but have you checked your oil level? I had a 72 Ford LTD with the 400 cu in small block. It would make that noise when it was low on oil. I knew it was time to add a quart.

Also what oil filter you using? Are you using the stock filter or an oversized filter? Could have some oil draining out of the filter then you have a dry start so to speak until the filter fills.

I recommend you change the filter and see if that makes a difference. What brand of filter you using?

Yes you may want to take it in but make sure it is not something self inflicted first.

Oil level is on full mark. Just changed it about 800 miles ago, and I use mobil 1 filters. Could that make a difference?

Mine does that too...don't know why, but the previous owner rarely changed the oil, so I think that has something to do with it. I've decided I'm just going to get a new engine. :D (stroker)

Back