• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tps or trans?

john

NAXJA Forum User
how can you tell a tps problem from a real trans problem? I have 88 with auto. when driving on the frwy. at about 55 to 60 mph. I will let of the throttle a little to slow down. then when I apply the throttle again the engine will just rev as if its in neutral. if I let the vehicle slow down to about 35 mph. it will get back into gear and pick up speed again. anyone had this sympton before?

I had an 89 do the same thing. But all it was was low on tranny fluid.

Needed about three quarts.

Try adjusting your kick down cable. My tranny was shifting at the wrong time at lower speeds for several years. A tranny shop said it was the TPS. I spent 30 seconds adjusting the kick down cable, and now everything is better. :)

where is the kick down cable?

The cable on the Throttle body that goes towards the pass side. Just open the throttle full and push the D shaped button on the cable retainer to tighten the cable. Hope that makes sence?

Tim

Back