• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone know of an easy way to mount a tire?

tony597fitter

NAXJA Forum User
I need to know if anyone knows how to get a tire off of a rim and re-mount it to another. I dont have time to take it to a tire dealer, right now. I am leaving to go and do a job in frankfort indiana, about 10 miles or so from the badlands and wanted to get a day of wheelin in, the rim I have on the tire is bent and I got a spare laying around. I now this is a stupid question but please bear with me if you could.

You can get the tire off with a pry bar -- hang the wheel on a fencepost or other sturdy vertical bar and work the tire off the rim with a wrecking bar or similar, one side at a time. Break the bead first by stepping on the deflated tire's sidewall close to the rim.

Putting it on is similar except that you should use smaller tools like a pair of large flat-bladed screwdrivers to fold the last bit of tire into the wheel.

A trick for inflation -- for emergency use only -- if you can't get the bead to seat with your air supply, put some lighter fluid in the tire (about 1/2 oz or so), light it from a distance. The lighter fluid will heat the air in the tire (expanding it suddenly) and the bead will pop tight (hopefully) and you can continue filling it. This works best in chilly weather, but I've done it on a hot day.

The fluid is not great for your tire and it will probably be permanently gooey in spots on the inside, but I haven't noticed a strength degradation in the two tires that I've done this to.

hth

Last edited:
You didn't say what size or brand of tire you need to dismount. Some have a bit more "give" to the bead than others. The toughest part will probably be breaking the bead on the old rim. Stepping on a tire has never worked for me, but jacking up the vehicle, laying the wheel flat on the ground under a rear wheel, and then lowering the car will usually work.

For the tire mounting part, I have had fair success using a pair of Stanley (R) "Wonder Bars." (Those are those flat bars sold in hardware stores for carpenters. One isn't enough -- you need two to "chase" the bead around the rim.

I read somewhere that you shouldn't put silicone on tire beads, but since I don't do enough tire work to justify buying a gallon of Ru-Glyde, I spray the bead with silicone spray and that helps the bead to slip over the rim.

put a nice coating of dishsoap on the bead of the tire and rim will help greatly.

Dismounting sucks but mounting them up is pretty simple.

Back