• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Leaking

J-MAKSXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 XJ 4.0 5 speed manual trans all stock
been topping up my Clutch fluid for 2 days now, noticed fluid on ground crawled under hoping to find that my rear main seal went again, but instead found clutch fluid leaking from bottom of bell housing, master cylinder ? is this external or internal on the model and year of my XJ ? any sugestions would be great.
Jim

Internal....gotta pull the trans back from the engine. Rent the BIG trans jack, get all you socket extensions, get a replacment slave that has the bellows, and have fun. I have done mine 5 times, I also have a 90, 4 of them did not have the bellows, the last one did and is holding fine. It takes me about 4 hours, not real hard...just labor intensive.

Rev

Check the rubber portion of the master to slave fluid line just in case that is where your leak is. The rubber goes pretty close to the #6 exhaust tube and can harden up and crack over time. Could save you some major clutch/tranny labor if you're lucky.

Back