• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

homebrew roof rack gurus...

Yucca-Man

NAXJA Member # 683
I'm using Thule mounts and crossbars on mine. Haven't put a spare tire up there but usually run some combination of bike/snowboard and cargo box.

thule.jpg

RACKX.JPG

I mounted mine to Thule Bars....I will be actually moving the two bars farther outboard and putting one more in the middle.

I left enough room on the drivers side for my bike rack as well...
Dunno if you can see it below
5.JPG

I used Thule gutter mounts and crossbars, you can buy used surf racks all day long for $25. They are locking too which is nice.

The only thing I'd mention is that if you REALLY WHEEL your rig & flex it alot you will end up cracking the unibody where the gutter mounts are because the rack wont flex. Ask me how I know....:rolleyes:

vintagespeed said:
I used Thule gutter mounts and crossbars, you can buy used surf racks all day long for $25. They are locking too which is nice.

The only thing I'd mention is that if you REALLY WHEEL your rig & flex it alot you will end up cracking the unibody where the gutter mounts are because the rack wont flex. Ask me how I know....:rolleyes:

LOL...now that the beast is caged I think you'll be all set LOL!

vintagespeed said:

Well I 4wheel mine all time. I hit the trail at least once a week. So mine should start cracking pertty damn soon if I keep this up....should I get mounts to go on my factory roof rack rails?

The rack should really be rubber mounted some way. Either to the roof with some small rubber bumpers or to the gutter mounts. Bushings will allow it to flex like your suspension does & save the roof & gutters.

I just got through replacing all my wellnut's holding the OEM rack (well, not quite a rack, the cross bars are gone. except for a tie down which holds the CB antenna back for garage's).
Anyway, I thought many of time if it woulb be possible to build a better roof rack off these. Granted they may not be very strong, but they are a rubber mount of sorts? I'd think they'd permit at least a little movement.
I dunno, just thought I'd sorta ask and throw that in.

Chris O.

KarmirXJ said:
you forgot something...

XJ + Roofrack + gear = ROLLOVER

Not neccessarily.

When loaded up with gear you tend to wheel differently...also when loaded up and out on a week long trip, I'm not ususally running the equivellant of the Hammers.

If you spend extended time in the backcountry with more than just yourself, You need more storage. The roof is often the only option. When my wife and Dog are out with me, that rack is filled. Usually we'll set up camp and make day trips out without the laden rack.

RJ

KarmirXJ said:
whats the point of wheeling if you cant wheel the hammers???
:D :D :D

LOL, you're not wrong!

Seems everytime we go we get farther and farther away from the idea of a good-compromise truck lol!!

HI5.jpg

My rack has been on my roof on every Hammer trip I've taken with the spare tire mounted to it. This whole roof rack = roll over BS kinda gets on my nerves after awhile. A rack will not automatically flip your rig upside down while your in the tent sleeping. A rack will not flip your rig upside down while your racing your buddies at 70 mph through Means dry lake bed. The only thing that will flip your rig is the driver behind the wheel, period.

Matt

Back