• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rebuild

800dollarjeep

NAXJA Forum User
hey, im lookin to rebuild my engine soon, i herd if you dont rebiuld it your self you pay an arm and a leg. so i was wondering how much are kits vs having a shop do it. and how hard is it to rebiuld an engine? would special tools be needed?

thanks

-mike

the only special tools you need are a ring compressor and two torque wrenches (one for foot pounds, one for inch pounds)

I would also reccomend getting a VERY sturdy engine stand. it makes rebuilding MUCH easier!!!

ask around about machine shops and find one that people trust. specifically if they're on a first-name basis with the machinist. personally, I'd pay to have the valve guides and seals done because it's a horrendous pain in the ass.

but do yourself a favor, and find someone who knows what they're doing to be around and help you out.

and specific to a 4.0L, if it's like any of the ones that I worked on, you would be better off with a good tap/die set at your disposal too (metric threads) I've never done one yet without braking a manifold bolt off in the head :rolleyes:

How hard is it to rebuild an engine? Pretty hard if you want a really good outcome. There is a mass of small things to do and to keep a watch out for...in additon to the biggies. No single book will have it all either. If you have really good mechanical skills and the tools, or access to the tools, then perhaps you might want to try. Is really fun building engines i think. Is my favorite job!

Back