• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gearing

Anthropy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 with 5 speed manual trans, 3.07 gears (8.25 diff), & 30 x 9.5 bfg t/a tires.

I was talking to this guy about regearing & I thought 4.11s might be a good choice. With my stock setup, I find that I have to be very careful with the clutch taking off in 1st gear as it is very jerky if I don't let it out just right.

One of my goals was to lessen out the 'clutch out of first jerkyness', the other is I want to go to 31's. So anyway, the guy tells me that my problem will only get worse when I go with larger gearing - this I don't want.

I have driven trucks with granny lows w/o this problem, but this is the diff I would be changing.

Feelings?? Remember this is a manual trans & not an auto. I don't get this jerkyness if I am in 4 low.

3.55's from an auto would suit your needs fine with the 30x9.50 tires, and would have no problem with 31's. Most people don't worry about re-gearing until they put at least 32's on. If you go with 4.10's you will smoke your tires in 1st without even trying, but it is great offroad. Both of those gears are easy to find at junk yards, the 3.55 will be in most autos, and 4.10 are in a lot of the 4-bangers.

With 4.10's you definlity want those 31's on there. I used 3.73 when I had my 31" tires and at 90% street 10% off-road thay we're perfect. Oh, and I have a '99 5sp. I now have 4.56's and 33" tires . If your interested I have the 3.73's for sale with about 25k mi on'em sitting in the garage gathering dust.

3.73 gears with 31x10.50R15 tires works out to EXACTLY the same final drive ration as stock 225/75 tires and 3.55 gears. I know this because it's what I have in my MJ, and I've double checked actual speed and RPM against those police radar trailers.

The 3.73s were selected with the idea of running 30x9.50 tires, but then I got moved up to 31s. I think 4.10s are an ideal ratio for 31s.

BTW -- the 31s and 3.73 gears run 2200 RPM at 65 MPH.

Eagle said:
3.73 gears with 31x10.50R15 tires works out to EXACTLY the same final drive ration as stock 225/75 tires and 3.55 gears. I know this because it's what I have in my MJ, and I've double checked actual speed and RPM against those police radar trailers.

The 3.73s were selected with the idea of running 30x9.50 tires, but then I got moved up to 31s. I think 4.10s are an ideal ratio for 31s.

BTW -- the 31s and 3.73 gears run 2200 RPM at 65 MPH.

Is that in 4th gear or 5th?

Anthropy said:
Is that in 4th gear or 5th?

That's in 5th (manual tranny)

Anthropy said:
I have a '96 with 5 speed manual trans, 3.07 gears (8.25 diff), & 30 x 9.5 bfg t/a tires.

I was talking to this guy about regearing & I thought 4.11s might be a good choice. With my stock setup, I find that I have to be very careful with the clutch taking off in 1st gear as it is very jerky if I don't let it out just right.

Jerky? I run 31's with a 5sp and 3.07's (I think) in a '96 and have no problem at all. 130K miles and original clutch. I think I run 3.07's, but it came with upcountry so I am not 100% sure. Bumping up a little on tire size doesn't make that big of a difference, unless you are a crawler. Then you should change them. I never have any jerky stuff going on. Maybe there is another problem in your drive train. Something may be lose. Should be smooth with those gears.

Curt

I have 4.56's with 30" tires and I LOVE it!!!
Revs @ 75 in top gear are right around 3k. While some people might consider this aggressive, in my opinion it's just fine for the I-6.

BTW, if you have the AX15 start off in second gear and keep 1st for wheeling.

(Bastard post)

5sp with 33's, 70% road-30% off, recommendations? 4.56?

(the 3.07's suck) not a dd, so I don't care too much.

Back