• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running Revolvers with Long Arms

MrShoeBoy

NAXJA Forum User
I have my front suspension set up perfect with the long arms and my current springs but I am left wanting some more flex in the rear.

Would revolver shackles be a good idea to get some more flex out of the rear or would it turn the Jeep into a slinky with the flexy front end? I have herd that the revolvers "unload" on a down hill or when braking hard so couldnt a limiting strap be installed on the pumkin to limit both sides from coming unloaded at once but when on the trail the strap wouldnt effect each side.

What do you guys think?

AARON

Rumors aren't true, they unload on acceleration not braking. They work great, go for it. Just be prepared to deal with the rear driveshaft length, slip travel & etc.

I understand that I will need to address the drivesshaft, shocks, brakes, etc... That is a given. I have already installed a longer rear brake line and have had a new longer driveshaft made to work with my axle swap and SYE. The shocks will be taken care of after I have the revolvers installed and have checked the additional wheel travel on a ramp. Then new custom shock mounts will be made.

I like the way the front springs ride so I dont want to get stiffer ones. The springs are not super soft but they are not super stiff eather. I understand that a stiffer front end will make the rear work but it just seems that the rear just doesnt have the wheel travel. When completely flexed out, I can fit a piece of paper inbetween the leafs so I know the rear is working. It just doesnt have enough travel when compared to the front. Does this make sence?

Thanks,

AARON

i have seen them unload on braking? look fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
or soemthing like that

stoney

here's what I have to say.
I have been running my revolvers for quite some time now with out rear shocks. broke a bolt and hadn;t gotten a chance to weld them up till today.

When braking with revolvers and no shocks these babys opened up some. then when I would time it to slam on my brakes and let off and slam them on again cauding the rear to bounce up and down making it look like I had hydrolics. last time I did it to "show off" I went a lil crazy and both revolvers unloaded and my buddy's said the rear tires cam off the ground. Needless to say that was the last time i did that.

I think that as long as you are running shocks for appropriate length and they won;t limit your down travel the delay that te shocks will give to the revolvers to open up will be the differance between them flying open and them slowly opening up.

Since the revolvers were designed for stock leaf springs if you have a leaf pack that is longer or shorter than the eye to eye of the stock pack it may use some of the forward motion of attaching to the leafspring and won't open up all the way.
My budy's is like this and says he envy's how mine sit like they are soposed to.

Dano

Addition:
before I got the shocks back in I tried to do a brake torq and the revolvers opened up and the back end was way off the ground. Basicly the only way it'll open up when you bracke is to send the weight to the front as to lift the rear up....

Somthin like that...
:anon:

This sucks: :mad:
longarm_16.jpg

longarm_17.jpg

Go Coil Rear: :D
Coil Rear

M. Lake

Thats the exact problem that I have. The rear doesnt keep up with the front flex speaking. I cant get into the link you posted. Says that I need an ID and password. Depending on how much fab work is needed, coils might be an option for me to look at.

AARON

Iwill revolvers give you more flex yes will they give you better performance off road maybe. I'm in the same boat as you my front long arms are flexy as snot but its to flexy and aas cheap xj said a balanced rig is better than a ramp champ. if no weight is realy being pushed down on the tire its not realy going to help a whole lot.I'm going to actually put a small sway bar kinda like a currie set up to help blance the beast out. when you you have to run extended bump stops just to keep your front spring from falling out of place it a litle to much if ya ask me. I wish i had a pic of the times I've sen it on the trail and when It happend to me.

REDXJ4FUN have you thought about using limiting straps to keep the axle from articulating so much that the springs fall out? My strap kicks in about 1.5" before the spring pops out from the bump stop and about 1/4" before the shock is fully extended.

Economos can you explain on the flatter spring thing. My rear pack consists of the factory main leaf and all the leafs execpt the main leaf of a dakota pack. I also have a 1.5" lift greasable shackle.

AARON

you DEFINIETLY need stiffer coils.

I'm runnin basically the same rear setup as you (MJ shackle instead of a 1.5" one) and 260in/lb rancho coils. it's as balanced as I can possibly make it. It rides REALLY good (even with shortarms :eek: ) and doesn't wallow like a pig, even when drivin on the street aired down and disconnected.

flexin08.jpg

flexin10.jpg

and best of all.. it was CHEAP!!! :D

if you want to do the flatter spring thing, think about relocating your rear springs under the "framerail" and use boomerang shackles to fit a longer main leaf in there.

flatter springs will have more travel

MrShoeBoy said:
Economos can you explain on the flatter spring thing. My rear pack consists of the factory main leaf and all the leafs execpt the main leaf of a dakota pack. I also have a 1.5" lift greasable shackle.

AARON

Hmm... Well, I obviously spoke too soon about your rear springs then, if you're running the Dakotas. Did you retain the stock Dakota overload spring?

Yes I have the stock dakota over load leaf. When on compression, it acts like a bump stop and keeps the whole leaf pack from inverting as well as keep my tires off the fenders. On extension, it basically does nothing. I cant find a good picture of my rear spring flex other wise I would post it and see if you guys can help identify the short comings of my rear:roll:

AARON

I loved my revolvers, never had any 'scary' moments as everyone claims, but then my shocks were always connected. The flex was awesome and if I wasn't running a heavy 14 bolt now I'd still have them on.

M. Lake, if you're going to flex the rear you have to ramp the front end.........if you want to be a ramp champ you gotta get it right. :D

http://vintagespeed.tripod.com/images/moneyshot.jpg

http://vintagespeed.tripod.com/images/wrkball2.jpg

The second pic is Wrecking Ball in Johnson Valley. On this trip there were 11 XJs and 3 of us made this waterfall. I credit alot that to the Revolvers, but most of it was driver.

Vintage I cant see the photos. The link just comes up as "picture hosted by Tripod"

Thanks for the help guys!

AARON

Hay Vintage. All I got was a white screan and a lable "powered by someone?"

I don't want a "ramp queen", but rustys set up is just nuts. On a down hill, with slight side pitch, the front would climb over a 2' rock like it was nothing, but when the back gets to that rock, it tips the whole back of the rig with it........Not my idea of a good ride :eek: with the rig tipped from the down hill ride at an angle already.

Balance sounds good. If the rear gave as much as the front, then the rig would not leave the COG point or something like that!

I ran my "scissor shackles" for over a year and loved them.The only reason I dont have them on now is that they're to short.I will think about lengthening them when I get done with some other mods and find out what my new shackle length will be!
s1.jpg

s2.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, try copy & paste on the links. My web provider is down so all I have left is Tripod.

vintagespeed said:
Sorry, try copy & paste on the links. My web provider is down so all I have left is Tripod.

right click on his link and select save target as.

nice pics btw!

Back