• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats toasting my computer

Rob94XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 5 Speed XJ and this is the starting process.....

-Turn key to on position.
-Wait for fuel pump relay to start clicking (new relay).
-Clicks for up to 10min or more depending on how cold it is.
-Eventually the clicks slow to a stop and the check engine light comes on like it normally would when you first put the key in the on position.
-Try to start and it'll start and bog out right away the first few times, then finally starts and is flooded up for a min.
-If you try to start it before waiting for the check engine light to come on it turns over fine but there is no spark.

Whats really gets me is the I replaced the computer and it fixed the problem about 4 months ago, I though everything was fine and dandy but now it's doing it again but worse. I put the old computer back in and it was ok for a couple of days and is now doing it worse then ever. I can't seem to find any loose wires, I tried wiggling everything during the relay clicking to see if it would stop any quicker but no deal.....

Rob

The fuel pump relay should not be clicking. It should click ON once, then you should hear the fuel pump run until the system reaches operating pressure. At that point, the relay will shut OFF -- you might or might not hear that as a click. The system should then hold pressure for at least several minutes, and it should hold it for a period of hours.

If you are hearing repeated multiple clicks of the fuel pump relay, that suggests to me a problem with either the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator.

Maybe its the wiring going into the computer...when you swapped computers it giggled the wires into a more positive contact.

There may indeed be an connection problem . . .

There may be some sorta of oxidization(or other crap), on the connector that plugs into the ECU. That may get 'transferred' to the ECU that has been most recently used (the most).

The wires, and contacts that are on the connector are very well strain-reliefed, and that connector also has the bolt securing it to the ECU. Giggling may not identify a connectivity problem.

The best way to check the contacts might be with a strong light, and a magnifying glass.

Even if you don't see anything, a good cleaning might be in order.

Good grade Isopropyl alcohol(99% ?), and a thin toothpick(you DO NOT want to distort the contacts).
-----------------
OOPs (my cold is getting to my brain)...just remembered that you can actually take the cover of that connector. That will leave the actual wires exposed beyond the strain-relief. Jiggle them there.

Back