• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 jeep cherokee classic..need info

USAtruck6

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy,

I'm in the process of getting a 2000 cherokee classic. It has 48k miles. Anyway I love this jeep cause it will definitely fit most of my needs. Anyhow, I don't really have any good info on it. It will be a daily driver but for moderate off roading every so often. How are these jeep mechanically. I only hear bad things from people, but then again, they only heard it from other people too. You have to own one to know it. So, can anyone tell me if I'm looking for trouble. I hear the front end cause alot of problems like the boots, transfer case, and bearings. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and I hope to catch you on the trail one day.

Cory...

I have a 2000 Classic. There are no boots in the front end. Some Chevy (or Ford) lover is filling your head with scurrilous propaganda.

The Cherokee is an excellent vehicle -- my 2000 Classic was bought to replace an '88 Cherokee Pioneer, but I kept it and it's now at 234,000+ miles, valve cover has never been off the engine, and it still gives me 23 MPG on the highway and doesn't use oil.

Mechanically the Cherokee is virtually indestructable. The 4.0L engine jis like an Energizer bunny -- it just keeps going and going and going ... The AW-4 automatic transmission is just about the same, and the transfer cases are New Venture Gear, either a 231 or a 242, and very reliable if you don't get crazy or stupid.

The only "issue" with a 2000 (or any Cherokee newer than 1996) is that if you decide to lift it, you may encounter driveline vibrations requiring anything from shimming the transfer case down to replacing the transfer case output with a Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) kit to eliminate the vibrations. If you plan to keep yours in stock configuration -- ignore that man behind the curtain.

My 2K

The transfer case is great quality, and will last very long in stock configuration, longer that most of the rest of the jeep.

I got mine at 31K, once drove it for 2 miles with no oil, and generaly beat the crap out of it when I can. It is a good choice. The attentions go to front axel U joints, but that is relative to how much abuse you put it through.

i have a FSM in pdf form.

PM me if you want it.

Jeremy

Back