• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need vacuum reservoir that's under the bumper

If your junk is pre-HO and has cruise, you can just move all the lines to the good side (it's 2 chambers). If you have a single sided vacuum tank you can steal one off any car at the junkyard. I'm running a Ferd F250 one on mine cause they're small, I dont have a/c or cruise so it's all I need.

i have HO 4.0 with A/C, no cruise. i will check junk yard next week. is it ok to drive around with that vacuum hose disconnected? just want to make sure nothing vital is run by the vacuum system, besides A/C controls.

I had a crack in mine, sanded it and smeared some Loc Tite (two part epoxy) metal mender on there. Been OK for years.

I've run without it for a couple months now and haven't noticed anything vital not working.

Denis!

Yeah if I were you, I'd try one from Pick-n-Pull. Even though they only have older (84-91) XJs there that I've seen, as long as the way the hose fits on the canister is the same it should work. Theres nothing special about it - its just a plastic tank or ball...

Don´t underestimate the power of Loc Tite Epoxy metal mender, liquid steel or whatever. I´ve used it to patch aluminum heat exchangers, and plastic radiators, that have lasted longer than some cars, the repairs being older than some drivers. The trick is clean and sanded, never leave home without it.

Is the vacuum chamber just a single tank (steel or plastic)?? I have an stainless round float (6 - 8 " in dia) that I was thinking of using instead of the factory one.

This will be for a '96 with a/c & cruse.

could one or these be bad?... i have no cruise, my a/c is not cold.... its still in my bumper, and i havnt checked for wholes or leaks yet.

You can use basically anything that will hold a vacuum. The a/c uses it to control the vents so if they are stuck in the defrost position (default) and wont move to any other position, then you've got a leak. The cruise side is to maintain a constant vaccuum on the cruise actuator to keep from surging.

There are numerous hoses going to the bottle around the firewall & then to the bumper, lots of places for leaks or cuts to form. There is one large (about 5/16") line that is the vaccuum source from the manifold and then smaller lines going to the accessories.

dennisuello said:
where can i find one? besides dealer?

i was mounting the lights on the bumper and drilled right through it. :(:mad:

How big is the hole?
JB Weld is your answer.........you'd be amazed how much stuff you can fix with this 2 component epoxy substance. Just lightly sand the area around the hole, mix enough to cover the hole and 1/8 " area around the hole, let dry overnight.
If you need to pull the res. off to fix it, and the hole is large, you can overfill the hole with JB, rotate the res. so the hole is on the bottom and slap a piece of masking tape over the hole. This will allow the JB Weld to flow in the hole and fill in the void, the tape keeps it from running out.
Problem solved. Buy the stuff at Checker, AutoZone, PepBoys.....about $4.00.
:)

Back