• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo Prob/Question

Cujo

NAXJA Forum User
Driving to work the other day, I hit a bump (no worse than the rest of 'em) and my speedo started bouncing/erratic. I kept driving, and after about 4-5 miles, it just stopped completely, and about 5 minutes later the check engine light came on. Everything else on the cluster works fine. I checked all of the connection on the tranny/t-case, and they're all good. I even swapped in another cluster, still don't work. If it makes any difference, I had a SYE installed about 2 weeks ago. I did a search on here and found similiar probs that pointed to a speed sensor. Does that sound like a possibility? Where exactly is the speed sensor?

The sensor is a little plastic gear that is inside the tcase (I assume you got 4wd). When you look underneath you can't miss it... it's the plastic piece sticking out and going up by wire or cable to the inside.

Your problem can be either of two things:
a. your cable or wire got loose and fell off
b. the speedo gear fell appart inside (heard of that happening once or twice.... really weird). If you don't see any extrenal looseness and you can't fix it by wiggling the cable I would recommend opening it up really quick :D and looking at things. What should pull out is a shaft with a plastic gear on the end (Watch how it goes in as you want to align it the same way)....

The check engine light is due to the lack of signal from the speedo.

Kejtar

At the back end of the tranny,,,new sensor about $40.00 at NAPA and about five minutes to install...One minute job and four minutes to crawl under.

That's pretty much word-for-word what was wrong with my 96 when I got it. I could fly down the highway for 60 miles and show 5 miles total for the day, or it would show me doing Mach 3 going through school zones...Replaced the Speed Sensor and protected the wiring and it was a happy camper from there on.

Back