• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wierd Electrical Problem

CUJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 limited xj w/ about 147k on it. So when i open my door i have no dome lights or power locks. And when i turn on the key I have no clock, radio, headlights, fuel pump or crank. The only electrical thing that seems to work is the brake lights and the hazard lights. In the days leading up to this my radio would cut out. It would lose power and then a few seconds later light back up again and continue wherever it was at. I have checked the battery and the cables and both are in working order. I would have thought that it was the battery cables but they are fine. I am toatlly in the dark on this one so anything would help

Based on what happened to your radio, it sounds like a short somewhere behind the dash. But I think there's more to it than that. If you haven't done so already, check the obvious things such as the fuses and the wires leading to the fuse box. Especially look for a wire that's grounded....look for insulation chaffing.

If these things check out good, look at the schematic to see what's common, or links, the effected electrical items. Then perform continuity checks w/ a meter. Good luck.

Tom

You don't say whether you have an auto or manual.

IIRC, the brake master cylinder is prone to leaking and dribbling down and corroding the hell out of the power block.

-Rick

replace the ignition switch! It's $10.00 at Auto Zone. My 87 was doing the same thing. After many many hours of testing and retesting I found the ignition switch to be bad.

Back