• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear clicking noise

I installed a 3" lift about 3 months ago. No vibes to note. No transfer case drop and no SYE. Two days ago I noticed a loud clicking noise coming from either the rear drive shaft or the axle. It only clicks when I accelerate from a stand still position and also only clicks when barely pressing on the accelerator between 1-35 mph. Anyone know what this could be? It sounds really bad when it is clicking. Please help!

question - is there any shim on the rear axle ? you may want to think about adding a 2 degree shim to help with driveshaft angle.

XJCHUCK72 said:
Did you check the U-joints? With that lift, and you may have an 8.25 rear axle, get an extended SY. This will help redude your u-joint bind.

Is Rusty's "Long Travel Yoke" the same as an extended SY? Would solve my problem you think?

when i put on my 3" lift, i had a similar noise too. i just put in shims on the rear to decrease the driveline angle. it took the noise away, but i still have a small amount of driveline vibes at acceleration. i'm planning a t-case drop in the near future...

dave said:
question - is there any shim on the rear axle ? you may want to think about adding a 2 degree shim to help with driveshaft angle.

No shims to speak of. How do you know what degree of shim you need? A shim seems to be the way to go, but I don't want to get the wrong degree.

Back