• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter or Solenoid ??

Parrothead

NAXJA Forum User
Sometimes when I go to start my '92 Cherokee, I turn the key and nothing happens. I can give the starter a few light taps and bingo...turn the key and she starts right up! Is my problem the starter or solenoid...or could it be a loose connection somewhere? Thanks!

Usually this is an indication that the starter has a worn or otherwise "floating" brush...

... round here the starters and solenoids are most often sold together so the discussion is usually moot ,

BUT since the starter's armature provides the "ground" for the solenoid... you really can't tell which one is hosed until you seperate the electrical connection for the starter off of the solenoid, and connect it to a known good starter (or similar load - I used to use a battery load tester) listen for the solenoid's loud slammin click AND watch the load to ensure that there's a good current path!

I do understand the wanna be sure thing though - that Mitsu-gear reduction starter is a few $$ with or without the solenoid (while the solenoid is only a few $$)

Last edited:
Back