• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Well, crap!

XJ exhaust is very good as is. No need to dual exhaust. You can go to a 2 1/2". I prefer the 50 series myself. Still sounds nice outside, but doesn't resonate so bad inside.

RR3

Mine ends right at the cat now. I took off the old muffler planning to put on a new cheap one that I got, but once I got the old one off I decided I liked it how it was. :D

ZmOz said:
Mine ends right at the cat now. I took off the old muffler planning to put on a new cheap one that I got, but once I got the old one off I decided I liked it how it was. :D
Don't you at least need a straight-tube back to the bumper to prevent exhaust from blowing up to the cabin windows, especially if stuck in traffic or snow?

hey speed, I've heard some very nice sounding single inlet/dual outlet flow master sound on an xj. one pipe runs in the stock location and the other goes around the fuel tank to run out the drivers side between the spring and fuel tank. That would be nice so if you stick one pipe in the dirt hill climbing it wont smother the engine.
I also ran my exhaust with just a turn down off a short muffler in the location of the stock converter and never had a fume problem. xj didnt smoke or run out of tune so there isnt a whole lot of exhaust fumes to notice any how.

also ran straight pipe out the back with a hollowed out coverter. It was loud on acceleration but ok besides that. Cheap. Put a turn down on the end so the sound doesnt blast straight back.

I agree with Yellowxj in that I've never smelt any fumes either. It may be a little loud fir some, but I never did mind a loud vehicle.:D
faf45985.jpg

Speedy I ran a 40 series flowmaster on my '99 XJ a few years ago (man 1999 was a few years ago!!)

It was a single inlet dual outlet. With your lift you have enough room to run one.
The dual outlets will have the pipe come over the axle, then the driver's side will go in front of the fuel tank and both will exit one on each side of your hitch.
That's how my buddy (owns a muffler shop) ran my '99 and it looked, sounded, and performed great.

rockcralwinxj said:
I agree with Yellowxj in that I've never smelt any fumes either.
Of course you can't smell CO (Carbon Monoxide) but it will build up in your body and poison you. Or your wife. Or your kids...

I agree with Yucca......

It is not cool to mess around with the exhaust exit location like that. The exhaust fumes will radiate upward while sitting, like at any stoplight, or stopped traffic, etc. CO is totally odorless and tasteless, you will not know if you have inhaled until it's effects are present.

That under vehicle location also adds greatly to the boominess of the exhaust inside. Don't know about you, but i do not like that long term like if i am on a trip...can't think straight. On mine i actually extended Rustys T/P another 4 inches to make sure was all the way out the back. No resonance at all in the cabin, just the way i like it.

muffler stuff...

Call Rusty's and order up one of their damn cheap ($) cat back systems w/ the flowmaster 50 series. Awesome deal and sounds great. And Rusty's price even beat the local competition offering their lowest price...and it arrived in two days!:gee:

I agree with you the CO is odorless, colorless, tastless, and so on, but exhaust isn't. I know what that smells like and if no one else has noticed, IT STINKS! It's more dangerous to ride in a Blazer with the back window open than it is to sit in traffic with my exhaust dumped. I may be crazy, but then again, maybe I'm just high from the fumes. :confused1 :confused1 :confused1

Oops. sorry guys and gals, I forgot that I was on an OEM thread:dunce: . Whew, maybe I do need to run the exhaust out the back:wierd: .

I usually have the air on and windows closed when in traffic, thats one of the big reasons I've got an xj. My firewall and floor pan is solid and my exhaust in excellent condition. So I'm not huffing fumes. Exiting the exhaust out the back is nice but I've jammed the tip in the dirt many times hill climbing around here. Havent hurt it out the side yet...will build a loop to protect the pipe from getting crushed where it passes under the subframe,...

Every year, winter somebody drives in the ditch, leaves the motor running, to stay warm and dies. Sometimes faulty exhaust, sometimes the snow or whatnot redirects the fumes back under the car to the heater vent. People get away with stuff, until they don´t get away with it, then it´s often too late. Oh, well.
I´m looking for a really quiet exhaust with a high flow. The local residents got to know my Edelbrock exhaust and my hunting successes really diminished. The farmers would laugh, they said they could hear me top the hill, at three in the morning, into the valley and all the foxes (and poachers) would take flight, heading south.

8MUD, i know what you mean. I was stationed in Germany for 3 years with my Chevelle SS396. Needless to say, they loved me , going through small towns around 3AM at 1500rpm, you could see the house lights come on one by one.:mad: :D
PS> those pipes were dumped too.:D

:D We call it waking up the natives. I think half of the low flying airplane complaints, are me motoring through a village, at three in the morning, on the way to the my Deer stand. Nice living in a country where they mostly ignore the speed limits.:anon: But I think it´s time for something quieter, been thinking of a flowmaster 50, but I´m affraid after a while, it will be just a noisy as the Edelbrock. Hate to put some great hunking stock muffler on there, old motor has enough trouble breathing as it is.
I do have a 2 1/2" high flow cat, to weld in, when I decide on a muffler.
And I swear, the Deer and foxes have gotten to recognize the tone of my exhaust and hide.:eek:

Well, it fell off while wheeling, and now, i have a cat, and erm, well, thats it....

Sounds AWESOME!!!!!

And the jeep runs a lil quicker now, dont ask me how :D:D

So im going to run a 90* elbow and a tip so it comes out the side, and be done with it, if it gets crimped, shut off the jeep, cut it off in front of the cat, and put another one on when i get home :D:D

Back